• Register Today It's free!

Returning squeal

richsaav89

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
So, I have a squeal under the hood. I know I had posted about this previously, but I thought I had fixed it with the replacement of the water pump and belt. Now, after that, the squeal was gone for a few days, but it seems to come back. I replace the belt, squeal goes away, then returns. I've replaced the tensioner and idler as well, but it only helped for a day or so.:scratch: I'm stumped! I know for a fact it's not the CMP as it was just replaced prior to me buying the Explorer by Ford (and I've also ran the motor briefly with the belt off just to be sure). So, any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks!

i had the exact same problem in my 2000 explorer. i had taken it in thinking is was just the belt, it was changed and the sqeal was still there. then it was the tensioner, adjusted and squeal was still there. then it was the alternator, changed and was still there. then took the belt off to see if it was anything in that series, squeal was still there. i then took it into ford and after using there wand to listen to the heart of the engine, they decided that it had something to do with the distributor. they changed it out and i the squeal has been beaten. i will get back to you on exactly what it was they said they changed but i remeber it had something to do with the distributor. i hope this helps!

If it was the "distributor" then you got taken for a ride. The 2000 Explorer, regardless of motor, does not have a distributor. It does have an ignition pack, which is controlled by the ECM. If it was the camshaft sync gear, I could understand that being described as looking like a distributor, but as I said in my first post it was recently changed by Ford, and I've checked the gear and sensor and both are in working order.

Back