• Register Today It's free!

Reuild? Stroke? Bore?

BigCountryX

Reaction score
City, State
Douglasville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Alright here is the deal I'm tired of the weakness of my engine and I'm trying to figure out my options,
Right now I have a 1994 4.0 and I was wondering if anybody knows about how much it would cost to have my engine rebuilt and also while I was haveing it rebuilt how much it would cost to either bore it out or stroke it and then whether or not any of that would be worth the cost or if it, or would be cheaper to get a 5.0 engine or a newer 4.6 engine out of a mustang or something. now at the moment I know very little about all this so anything at all anybody could tell me would be great oh yeah I also would like to know about how much it would cost to do the 5.0 or other engine swap and like I said before ANY information that anyone has would be great

- Beau (BigcountryX)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously, if you dont know much about doing a rebuild or engine mods, don't even attempt it... sell your truck and buy one with a v8 already in it... the 4.0 is a good reliable engine, but it isnt a major power engine, especially trying to move around a 4500 # truck....

Jim is right. You could spend thousands of dollars on an engine that is still not all that potent. If you really want a lot more power, then do what Jim said, get one with a 302. Explorers are not exaclty quick vehicles. Unless you want to dump a lot of money in to it, just deal with it, it isn't a sports car.

Get the 302, thats already a 50 hp increase than what you got, and like +70 lbs torque increase. It has PLENTY more power than the ohv

Like perviously stated you need to figure out what you wanna do with this Explorer. If you just wanna pep it up a bit and get more power then you can rebuild your 4.0 and install a nice camshaft along with a few other bolt ons and have a decent ride thats still reliable and light on the wallet to drive. Now if this is a second vehicle that you want all out performance then go v8 hands down, you can still do this to the 4.0 as I have but get ready to spend some dough and not to care about pricing.

I'm not too far from you over here in Birmingham and I use Higgin's Ford performance located in Douglasville for my dyno services. I should have my site back up and online after the new year and then you can find some prices on new rebuilds and higher performance 4.0's.

Later Doug904.

for the cost of either a serious 4.0 buildup, or a 5.0 swap, you could sell your current X, and buy a V8 X and proly save both time and money...

check out the local sales papers. since the Firestone B.S., you can get a used explorer dirt cheap. i have a '96 5 liter 2wd in near-mint condition, and i highly doubt i could get over $6k for it around here. if you do a 5.0 swap for under $6k, you either already had alot of stuff laying around, or just got lucky.

Back