Reverse Brake Assist Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse Brake Assist Failure

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I bought my 2020 Platinum in October. Over the past month or so, the reverse brake assist feature is not available when i put the vehicle in reverse. Happens about 20 percent of the time, I'd say. Sometimes the rear camera is out as well, but not always. I'll mention this to the dealer on my next trip, but it's not worth a special visit.

Anybody else have the same issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_124815.jpg
    IMG_20200731_124815.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_20200730_091443.jpg
    IMG_20200730_091443.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 282

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2020 Platinum in October. Over the past month or so, the reverse brake assist feature is not available when i put the vehicle in reverse. Happens about 20 percent of the time, I'd say. Sometimes the rear camera is out as well, but not always. I'll mention this to the dealer on my next trip, but it's not worth a special visit.

Yup, look in the TSB thread. There is a SSM that tells them to replace the rearview camera (now on all 2020 models). I am waiting for the new camera to arrive for them to install. Backordered since a lot of vehicles have the issue.

Thanks @TonyST. Didn't realize it had been expanded to all 2020 models. I'll be making an appointment soon.

Thanks @TonyST. Didn't realize it had been expanded to all 2020 models. I'll be making an appointment soon.

@ProudestMonkey Thanks for posting this. I'm experiencing the same issue, and when I took it in for service my dealership told me to wait for a recall notice by Ford (ETA unknown - just said it could take maybe 3 weeks or 3 months, or whenever).

@TonyST I found SSM 49032, but when mentioning it to the dealership, they told me they cannot warrant it because it's not applicable to Explorers with the 360 camera.

@ProudestMonkey Thanks for posting this. I'm experiencing the same issue, and when I took it in for service my dealership told me to wait for a recall notice by Ford (ETA unknown - just said it could take maybe 3 weeks or 3 months, or whenever).

@TonyST I found SSM 49032, but when mentioning it to the dealership, they told me they cannot warrant it because it's not applicable to Explorers with the 360 camera.

They need to look further. Ford just updated on Aug 20 that SSM to include even the ones with 360 camera. My dealer ordered a new camera for that SSM.

They need to look further. Ford just updated on Aug 20 that SSM to include even the ones with 360 camera. My dealer ordered a new camera for that SSM.

@TonyST Good looking out. However, the Ford Dealer close to my house in South Orange County appears to be non-cooperative with issues I've taken in each time for service since getting my Explorer ST. To me, it feels like if I didn't purchased my cars from them - or even when trying to do warranty claims - they'll only help me out when I'm actually paying for the service. The problem I have is this dealership is only 5 min away (vs. 30 min from the dealership I purchased the ST from).

Therefore I called the dealership I purchased this SUV from, and over the phone they told me it's a known issue, that I should just drop it in for service so they can go through the diagnostics and proceed with ordering the camera (which they've confirmed it's on backorder).

I have as dealer 5 minutes away as well but chose the one that is about 25 minutes away because of its reputation for service and sales.

Peter

@TonyST Good looking out. However, the Ford Dealer close to my house in South Orange County appears to be non-cooperative with issues I've taken in each time for service since getting my Explorer ST. To me, it feels like if I didn't purchased my cars from them - or even when trying to do warranty claims - they'll only help me out when I'm actually paying for the service. The problem I have is this dealership is only 5 min away (vs. 30 min from the dealership I purchased the ST from).

Therefore I called the dealership I purchased this SUV from, and over the phone they told me it's a known issue, that I should just drop it in for service so they can go through the diagnostics and proceed with ordering the camera (which they've confirmed it's on backorder).

Glad you are making progress, it really sucks that some dealers are hesitant to help out customers if they didn't buy the vehicle there. That is contrary to corporate regs but happens.

I am having the same issue with my 2020 Explorer ST. The error message started popping up a few months ago. Just took it into the dealer, and they say Ford has no information in their database of this error occurring. They told me to come back in a few months if it continues.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Mine is doing the same thing. I just got mine back from a "repair", but it didn't fix the issue. Have you received any further responses?

Mine is doing the same thing. I just got mine back from a "repair", but it didn't fix the issue. Have you received any further responses?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on November 17, 2020, and as happens far too often, no follow-up was posted. Take it back to the dealer.

Peter

On my 2021 Platinum I'll get that exact same warning displayed with the engine running if I turn off traction control manually with the button on the console and then shift the vehicle into Reverse. Shift back to Park, turn traction control back on and shift in Reverse, no warning.
Perhaps your issue has to do with traction control which then triggers the warning,
Before I installed the AutoStop Eliminator I inadventently pressed the traction control button instead of the start/stop off button with the vehicle in Park and engine running. That's when I learned there is a relationship between Traction Control and Reverse Brake Assist.

On my 2021 Platinum I'll get that exact same warning displayed with the engine running if I turn off traction control manually with the button on the console and then shift the vehicle into Reverse. Shift back to Park, turn traction control back on and shift in Reverse, no warning.
Perhaps your issue has to do with traction control which then triggers the warning,
Before I installed the AutoStop Eliminator I inadventently pressed the traction control button instead of the start/stop off button with the vehicle in Park and engine running. That's when I learned there is a relationship between Traction Control and Reverse Brake Assist.
I had the recall service for the camera software update done on January 14. I had not had the blue screen for 2 months. Today it happened for the first time since a month before the recall work. Now the dealer said they will order a camera and replace it. Let's see if that takes care of it!

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same issue in my 21 ST. It seemed to have started after the recall reprogramming the E brake to come on after putting the vehicle into park. It has been back to the dealer and they updated 10 modules but it is still happening about 40-50 % of the time. I am going back Thursday to see if they can find the issue.

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same issue in my 21 ST. It seemed to have started after the recall reprogramming the E brake to come on after putting the vehicle into park. It has been back to the dealer and they updated 10 modules but it is still happening about 40-50 % of the time. I am going back Thursday to see if they can find the issue.
The member you quoted was last seen here on December 29, 2021, so may no longer be following the thread. Hopefully. another affected member will be able to add to this thread with more info.

Peter

The member you quoted was last seen here on December 29, 2021, so may no longer be following the thread. Hopefully. another affected member will be able to add to this thread with more info.

Peter
Thanks Peter

Someone started a thread on it today. Back up camera recall 2020-2023 models

As mentioned in my post in that thread, it is virtually impossible for my Aviator to hit anything while backing up since the Reverse Brake Assist slams on the brakes when you get too close to anything.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back