reverse sensing system activation problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

reverse sensing system activation problem

rlipscomb

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Limited
I have a 2007 Explorer. After being hit on the driver's side rear last week my park aid has been acting funny, or not at all. When I am reversing, on the message center it would say "Park Aid, ON OFF", but there is no arrow indicating which state it was in, and I cannot turn it on or off-I can't do anything with it. I am not getting an error message. I asked the collision center to check this when I had it repaired, supposedly they did. Can anyone help? I don't know if the one of the sensors was damaged, if the park aid module was damaged, or if it is a computer issue. Thanks!

Hmmm, the connector is on the other side:

501-19-2.jpg

Still, it wouldn't hurt to disconnect and connect it a few times, just to make sure it's good. While it's disconnected, start it up, put in reverse, and see what symptom lights up. If it's different than the current message, you're on the wrong track.

If it's a connection at the Smart Junction Box, it's not much fun to get at, but is on the driver's side, by your left knee.

Just poured through 175 pages of schematics, and missed the one with the Park Aid Sensors. But, there's no doubt it passes through the Smart Junction Box. Let the body shop struggle with it a while. It may have to go to the dealer to connect to their magic diagnostic equipment.

Thanks for that, I'll try it. I think I'll have to remove the spare to get a good look at it. It's pouring outside right now, so I'll let you know tomorrow.

So I found out what the problem was today. The park aid had to be "reset", which is accomplished by putting the car in park, having the headlights on, and one other step in order to be able to turn it back on. Kind of like an "easter egg" in a video game. The system itself was fully functional. Not sure how I would have figured that out without having to bring it to a shop, but seems like something that should be easy to find online.

Back