Reverse while moving forward, SERIOUS?> | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse while moving forward, SERIOUS?>

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Just a few minutes ago, i was going down this hill at 20-25mph, and i was trying to get the engine into neutral, but it went into reverse because i slipped. There was a squeal from the brakes, and the check engine light came on. The gas pedal would not work once i got it back into drive. So i coasted to a stop at the bottom of the hill, put in park and shut off the car. Then when i restarted it, the check engine light went off and it seemed to have ran fine. Is this a serious problem because it only went into reverse for a second or two until i got it out. Thanks please help, i would like some advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The things you'll have to worry about after doing that is everything from the transmission back in the driveline (including and especially tranny). Hope you were planning on getting it rebuilt soon anyway...

the squal was small and there was a slight jolt. it looks like something happened to protect it, i dont know, but that couldnt wreck the tranny that much could it?

I would bet that it was very hard on the clutch packs and everything. It probably isn't gonna make the transmission go out on you tomorrow but I would bet it took a nice chunk out of its "life expectancy". Make sure to listen carefully to it (transmission) and you might be able to tell when it's ready to start slipping. Then is the time to unload your Explorer!

Originally posted by jas84
Just a few minutes ago, i was going down this hill at 20-25mph, and i was trying to get the engine into neutral, but it went into reverse because i slipped.
Um, why were you putting it in neutral in the first place? You DO know that that is illegal, don't you?

Jas,

The squeel was from your tires, not the brakes. The reason why your check engine light went on and the gas pedal wouldn't work is because you stalled the engine. I wouldn't worry about it. The drive train components are built strong enough to with stand occasional stresses like that. Just be careful and don;t play with the shifter while in motion.

Ah, see, we don't get any snow (at least none worth mentioning) here in the South, so no wonder I hadn't heard of a legit reason. Sorry, my bad.

Originally posted by jas84
i was trying to get the engine into neutral, but it went into reverse because i slipped. Thanks please help, i would like some advice

Now you know that you ONLY do that in rental cars!! hehe

Back