• Register Today It's free!

Review: Monroe Reflex shocks

96ExplorerV8

Reaction score
City, State
Some City in, East Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT V8
Hey guys. As promised, here's my honest review.

First off, my Explorer is a 96 XLT V8 AWD on a stock suspension with about 77,700 miles on the stock shocks.

I replaced them with Monroe Reflex shocks I got from carparts.com at around $39.95 each with a coupon for free shipping. I got the shocks in about 4 days. If you want to know the link to the coupon, let me know. I have to dig it up.

The stock shocks would make my rear end sway from side to side whenever it went over big patches of asphalt for construction, bumps, or anything that hits just one of the rear wheels.

With the Reflex shocks installed at Pep Boys (at $12 each for labor), the Explorer STILL does show a bit of rear swaying. But it doesn't make me nervous or anything since it's very minor. But it's not gone, for sure.

The ride quality? I do almost 99.99% on-road driving. So highway and city driving is very important to me. I don't do any trailer towing either. Compared to the 02 Chevy Tahoe in our family, the Explorer still feels very truck-ish with the Monroe's. Except for air shocks (air suspension), I don't think the Explorer can feel as comfortable as the Tahoe.

With that said, the minor bumps are absorbed quite well. And though my worn-out shocks gave me a soft, bouncy ride I like this firmer yet controlled ride better. It feels like a nice truck, basically. So if you're after a sedan ride, it won't quite give you that.

Price was also a factor for me. I think I could've gotten a softer ride with the Rancho 9000's but then it'd have been pretty expensive for me. So, there you have it folks. The other previous reviews have been correct. It sure is a firm ride, but a controlled one at that. It's not soft, but it's not stiff. It'll absorb many minor bumps on the road, but is firm enough to not let the truck dive when braking. So it's a nice balance. I hope you find this review useful. Later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 96ExplorerV8
The stock shocks would make my rear end sway from side to side whenever it went over big patches of asphalt for construction, bumps, or anything that hits just one of the rear wheels.

With the Reflex shocks installed at Pep Boys (at $12 each for labor), the Explorer STILL does show a bit of rear swaying. But it doesn't make me nervous or anything since it's very minor. But it's not gone, for sure

If you want to rid that sway, go with a beefer rear swar bar and poly bushings' qorks wonders.

Like al said, bushings with a bigger rear sway bar in conjunction with the Reflex's would help tons.

OK, I will add my thoughts to this. I put on 4 new Monroe Reflex shocks last week on my '97 EB. Installation wasn't too bad, but I probably should have had a shop put them on and saved myself a bit of time. Total time to install was about 3 hours (not in any rush and had to dig up my metric sockets and tools). Fronts are pretty easy to do, and the rears aren't bad once you drop the spare.

Before these new shocks I was still on the factory units (5 years old now) with 35,000 miles of mostly city driving. My biggest complaint was that the vehicle would toss side to side badly (like when I attacked a speedbump at an angle (one wheel at a time)). The ride was also rather "floaty". Wind was a problem too - two hands required on steering wheel when driving down the freeway on windy days, or I would end up in another lane!

Since the new shocks, I have continued my city driving and am very pleased that my biggest complaint (side to side tossing) is no longer a problem. It still sways, but it doesn't toss me around - it seems much more controlled. These shocks are definitely not "floaty" nor do they ride like a Lincoln. I immediately noticed that they are a bit rougher in ride quality (my wife mentioned that it seemed more "bouncy, like it was when we first bought it" on a 60 mile freeway trip yesterday). On that trip yesterday, it was very windy on the way home but I couldn't tell from driving. In fact I think that is probably the biggest improvement I have noticed so far - the truck is much more controlled than before - in wind, over bumps, changing lanes, ... I just feel more secure

Anyhow, those are my first impressions. It will be interesting to see how the shocks "wear in" and if they continue to perform as they age. Only time will tell. Till then, I will be enjoying the ride.

Another review: Its been 3 weeks with 4 new Reflexes on my 98 w/ only 30K. $36 each after rebate at Advance autoparts. About $75 for shop to intstall. I do mostly hiway driving and over bumps of almost any kind the stock shocks felt unsafe. They would absorb the bump alright but felt like they never put the wheel back on the pavement fast enough. When going over bumps and turning at the same time I thought I would skip off the road. Going straight over speed bumps or dips in the road I had to keep my hands on the wheel to keep the after effects in control. And in retrospect I can also say that body lean during on ramps, etc seemed excessive. So with these new shocks the bump itself seems a bit harsher/firmer but the after effects and controlability is 90% better. I'll trade a firmer ride for a safe one any day. Body lean is better too. Keep in mind I have had no other shocks to compare to. And how long they hold up is another thing. But for the money I would recommend them and will spend any future money on bushings and sway bars.

Back