Revised Starter/Backup Lamp Switch Electrical Schematic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Revised Starter/Backup Lamp Switch Electrical Schematic?

cdsmith_2002

Reaction score
City, State
OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
I am striking out finding TSB 92-24B-52, which documents revised wiring for the starter/backup circuit.

My truck starts correctly in park/neutral as it should. The problem is that 4-Lo does not work (4-Hi does work). The R/W wire which is the park/neutral input to the Shift Control Module is always 0VDC. It never changes to 12VDC.

I have the EVTM but it is not accurate. It has orange stickers on various pages referring to related TSB's.

I have been tracing out the wiring & connectors and I'm stuck due to inaccurate info.

Looking at my copy of Haynes manual #2021 (1991-1992 Ford Explorer), on the bottom of page 12-38 the wire from the ignition switch to the Electronic Shift Control is R/LB #32, not R/W, for the 1992 starting system circuit. There is a R/W wire from the Starter/Backup Lamp switch to the Electronic Shift Control Module shown on the 1991 Start/Ignition System circuit diagram on the same page. Could you perhaps have a 1991 harness in your 1992 Sport? I can't locate my 1992 wiring diagrams or I'd cross-check this. I've found errors in every service manual that I own, so don't always trust them.

1992%20Explorer%20wiring%20jpg.jpg
Thanks for digging into you books for me Larry. I have the #36024 (1991-1999) version of the Haynes. .

I have not found the the 463-R/W (to the shift module) nor the 32-R/LB (to the starter solenoid) in C140 connector, which is on the driver side wheel well liner under the master cylinder. Unfortunately the EVTM does not show the connector view for the C140 or C176.

My prints don't show exactly how the R/W & R/LB are connected. So, I am starting to think that there is a separate pole on the transmission selector switch for the Shift Control Module circuit, or it is a separate switch. The more I look at the schematic, its looking that way. I'll investigate this next.

I have tested for voltage on the R/W at the C200 connector under the dash/carpet. No voltage there in Park/N. Chances are is that the problem is the trans position switch.

Hopefully the picture of the schematic works:

1992%20Explorer%20wiring%20jpg.jpg

Back