Rhino Lining Chrome | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rhino Lining Chrome

I'm planning on painting all my bumpers/exterior plastic black here shortly, and also want to remove the chrome from my grill and paint it to match the paint on the rest of the truck. I've researched and believe the best way to remove the chrome is to hit it with a small propane torch and it will peel. What's the best way to obtain paint to match. Can you buy color specific from Ford or do you have to have it color matched?

I also have a chrome safari light bar that I want to paint flat black or possibly rhino line. What's the best way to prep the chrome if I decide to paint or rhino line?

I'm planning on painting all my bumpers/exterior plastic black here shortly, and also want to remove the chrome from my grill and paint it to match the paint on the rest of the truck. I've researched and believe the best way to remove the chrome is to hit it with a small propane torch and it will peel. What's the best way to obtain paint to match. Can you buy color specific from Ford or do you have to have it color matched?

I also have a chrome safari light bar that I want to paint flat black or possibly rhino line. What's the best way to prep the chrome if I decide to paint or rhino line?

Your best bet would be to just buy a painted grill from the junkyard. Then, all you have to do is scuff it, and paint. I believe the painted grill came on Limited models. Even a brand new aftermarket one, in primer, would be relatively cheap, and require a whole lot less work then trying to strip the chrome off yours.

Your best bet would be to just buy a painted grill from the junkyard. Then, all you have to do is scuff it, and paint. I believe the painted grill came on Limited models. Even a brand new aftermarket one, in primer, would be relatively cheap, and require a whole lot less work then trying to strip the chrome off yours.

From what I've seen and heard, stripping the chrome off the grille with a blowtorch is relatively simple and easy. As long as you are the right distance from the grille, it should peel right off. I'm on a budget, so I'm not going to buy a new grille when I have two already that are perfectly suitable. Plus, I already have a billet grille insert in my existing grille that I want to keep.

Who knows what will it take to prep the chrome on my safari bar to spray some textured bed liner on there?

For the safari bar, I would sand it lightly to scuff it up and then clean with rubbing alcohol. That's how I've done stuff I've painted to make sure the surface is clean and my paint jobs have turned out good.

i painted my chrome bumper with rock guard and basically just taped and painted with no prep work just to see how it would come out, that was last july and its still holding up great! just make sure to take care of any rust

Back