• Register Today It's free!

Rick, 4.88 rear gears???

Kampy

Reaction score
City, State
Rio Rancho, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Ranger
I looked through your other posts but wasn't able to find out how you did it. Did you go with the Warn full floater (no longer available) or did you use C-clip eliminators?

I'm under the impression 4.56 is as steep as you can go using the C-clips to retain the axles. Is that right or did I miss something?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe...

Actually the limiting factor was the Dana35 front end. I could only get 4.11,4.56, or jump to 5.13's.

The 8.8 could probable get a 4.88 since they are popular with Mustang owners too.

What I want to know from Rick is where did he get the stud kit and cover for the rear?

Correct. The limiting factor is matching the Dana 35 front end. Once Rick went to a Dana 44 front, other gear ratios became available to him.

GoFast,
did you say that you can get 5.13 gears in a dana 35 ttb? how is that possible if the 4.88s won't go in?

I still have C-clips in my 8.8. I just ordered new axles from Moser with the 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern.

Rick,

Didn't you have to grind a small part of the ring gear so the cross shaft could be reinstalled?

And, do you know of anyone runing 5.13s and an ARB in the 8.8?

Thanks,

Charly

Originally posted by Campbell
GoFast,
did you say that you can get 5.13 gears in a dana 35 ttb? how is that possible if the 4.88s won't go in?

It wasn't a fit problem. They just didn't make 4.88's for the Dana 35. In my case I can go to 5.13's and with my 35" tires and the 33% overdrive on my new AOD transmission and turn 2300 RPM at 70 mph.

Before I went with the 302 and AOD tranny I was going to put 4.56's in the truck.

Yes the ring gear needed to be ground down for clearance. I called ARB and they said 5:13s can be run in an 8.8 with an Airlocker, it just requires grinding.

I thought you can *now* (as in last few months) get 4.88 gears for the dana35..

Back