Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 133 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

So what about the Atlas T case? Are you ever gonna wheel this thing besides in your back yard? :p: Where are the other km2's?

LOL. I am anxious to see this thing doing some actual tough flexing. I know there is tons of travel in the suspension. I also think you could even go with 37's and not cry about the room.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully the case will be here by Feb 25th. Other KM2s? All four are on the truck, look at the second pic. As soon as I finished the rear suspension late yesterday, that's when I took it out on the same rocks to get a comparison and took the pics. That was just a spur of the minute thing.
Once the Atlas is installed that's when the fun rides start. But since it's only been locked for about a week (rear only so far) I really was limited on any hard stuff.
Planning on taking it out locally today and see If I can find some good stuff to flex it on.
I really need to stuff that rear axle to see how close the back side of the larger tire comes to the sheet metal. Especially if I plan on doing another Inch or so rear ward push of axel.
This Spring or Summer is when some trips will be planned with some other 4x4 guys.
I'm with ya on the 37s or even larger and that is in the plans, along with re-gearing.
Interesting to note, that this 302 does not even know it has larger tires, the torque is just amazing.
Should be a fun summer.

I can't get over how big this thread is! Wow.

Tire review from another member that has experience with them.

Those KM2s are a great all around tire. Aired down, they take on an entirely new life. They transform into a rock crawling, mud wall gouging animal. HWY use is also fine.

Took them on a 4k road trip to CO and back. They handled high speed turns weaving the S turns thru the Mountains like a Street tire. For woods wheeling these things are great. Not as good as the Boggers in the mud, but damn close. Been traversing the roads with these in the latest snow storms, they do great in fresh snow. Nothing but studded tires do well in Ice, so it's not fair to say with that. They are louder on the street than the Pro-Comp MT IMHO. When taking off or coming to a stop on pavement, you can feel the lugs shudder a bit at low speeds, but that goes away after you get up to around 10 mph. 35psi is as high as I have ran for pavement, and 8 psi is as low as I have run off road. The triple ply sidewalls are way stronger than the Pro Comps are, so don't be afraid to abuse em more than you did with the Pro Comps. I got the lifetime warranty to 50k on mine, which includes sidewall damage :)

Thanks for the reply gmanpaint. Can't wait for the weather to break and the Atlas installed. Hmm seems an on board air system should be on this years things to do list also. I've read other reviews how when they're aired down they really come on strong.

DSC08550.jpg

Just way to cold out to take on much of a ride but did manage to somewhat stuff the rear tire. I'll have to address this problem. It won't take much for that sheet metal to gouge the tire as it is let alone move the axle back any further.

DSC08546.jpg

Going to have to cut some more metal above the track bar bracket. The piece of metal that you see is directly in front of the "used to be" gas tank.

30#s? Your truck is light enough I would probably not run them over 22#s on the street. That big of a tire on little 4xs, there is no need to run them at the pressure on the door jamb. My big tires on all my little wheelers always wore out the centers first before I figured out the pressure thing, besides the ride is so much nicer when you let a few pounds out!

Was a little stiff ride. Could feel every little bump in the road. Good point about what the door jamb says, got a laugh out of that. Especially the rear axle weight, it's just not there. I can put the jack on the side of the truck directly under the front bushing of the bottom of the front 4 link and the rear still comes off ground first. So maybe a 18/22 just make sure the diameter is same. In fact I'm going out for some coffee first thing this cold morning and I'll just to that.

OK, just got back from the coffee run, what a difference. Did a 21/22 front to rear split measured with an accurate low pressure gauge. On a tire that size it takes a fair amount of air to come down just one pound. Now even at static weight I can just push down on either front or rear bumper and an you can see the side swell in the tire cushioning the downward force. This was just not there at 32# which the tire came from the 4x4 shop after mounting. Also very little in decrease in overall diameter, about 3/16". May even decrease the rear some more and just keep an eye on the wear.

Now for the good news about the case, my obligation to Advance Adapters in regards to the case is done on my end. They are paid in full and should receive the balance by Mon.
They said depending on when they get the balance it won't take no more then an hour to finish the build and will ship same day. So I'm still thinking about Feb 25 and yes this year ha ha.
And I'll do a complete write up on install and the best part of all...doing some trails.
Also going to start collicting stuff for the 3 pt thing. Going to do it in a way that if I don't like it on the street i can still re-hookup the radius arms by installing the pins in top links and hooking up track bar. Well at least I think I can as the little train once said.

DSC08574.jpg

I'm relocating about 35lbs two foot lower and behind the rear axle. It's my HighJack.
Using some of those tabs I bought on sale from Ballistic Fab.
Ford must have designed that tailgate area just for this.

DSC08573.jpg

Here is the other end. Only took two tabs and it's as snug as a bug in a rug.
Getting that much weight on other side of axle and that much lower really helps in a lot of areas.

DSC08576.jpg

Now that's a whole lot better then high up on the roll bar.

DSC08586.jpg

Now as janderson4010 said, need some mud on the tires.
Could had put that front tire up higher for even more articulation.
Testing the new tires and suspension on the same grounds to keep the factors all the same to get a better feel on how it's doing compared to the way it was. Main thing was to see how the shock did at a different angle.
But the main factor is, I'm so broke I can't even pay attention ha ha . Especially after buying a few Grand of stuff lately for this build. I'm lucky I got gas money to even get here. And asking wife for a few more hundred to play on rocks ain't going to happen.
But yes, I love the tires and the way the suspension is working better and better.
I'll probably put some more droop into the arms front and rear but will wait and see just in case I go 3 point in rear.
I could put some bind into the radius arm, but I like having all four wheels on the ground.
It was so strange driving this truck in the wind with the rear radius arms un-pinned, I mean the wind which was about 20 would even lean the truck over since it was blowing into the side. And this has little side area even for the wind to hit.
Taking turns on asphalt with the locked rear and radius arm un-pinned is a thing to see. When you take a turn the outside body at the rear lifts way up into the air as the outside rear wheel wants to drive under truck. And it stays that way untill the road straightens out. The looks on peoples faces is priceless.
Now usually I put the pin back in but I was only a few miles from the house.

Taking turns on asphalt with the locked rear and radius arm un-pinned is a thing to see. When you take a turn the outside body at the rear lifts way up into the air as the outside rear wheel wants to drive under truck. And it stays that way untill the road straightens out. The looks on peoples faces is priceless.
Now usually I put the pin back in but I was only a few miles from the house.

I can imagine. :D

Another shameless plug for your rig, no doubt.

A little decadent behavior is fun sometimes ha ha

That filter element might be a little too fine for a gravity flow prefilter. Compare to the sock style prefilters used even in cases where the prefilter is just before the high pressure fuel pump.

http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&gl=us&q=fuel filter sock#i=0

This was a good question and I even did a little un-scientific test.
Back when I had a real job working in the HVAC Ind. part of my work was called Balancing. It involved measuring the Static pressures of duct work and associated filters. This little video showed that this filter did not impede the flow of gas enough to worry about.
The bowl had to get about 3/4" up before it reached the filter media. Then it just flowed out fine. In fact by the time I took the camera over, it was drained out.

th_MOV08323.jpg

DSC08596.jpg

Here's my high tech gas gauge. My dash mounted one works fine untill the gas level gets too low for the float to measure accurately.

DSC08597.jpg

Each hole is exactly 5/8" apart which is one gallon. Read from right to left you see that there is a larger hole. This is 7" off of bottom of tank so that is exactly 11 gal.

DSC08599.jpg

Now for some more ideas that I have. I took out that bed extender cause I really don't think I'll put the stock tail gate back on.
I like the looks and practicality of those after market tubed tail gates whether round or square. So what I'll do in the not to distant future is to build one out of 1x1 or 3/4x3/4" sq tubing.
The other project will be to relocate the spare tire to a better weight trail friendly spot. And that will be to put all that weight on the rear bumper mounted vertical which is a better spot then laying where it is now. Just too much weight towards front.
But foremost will be to wheel this truck once the Atlas is installed and then do some of these mods.

But come the end of April to the end of May this truck will see trails for about 30 days straight. Getting up around 4 am and doing logging and 4x4 trails in these mountanious remote areas chasing Spring Gobblers. One of the most thrilling of all hunts. Now it will almost be more fun driving there then hunting there.
Of course checking for some challanging trails. One place I have in mind is 20,000 acres of wilderness that opens up 4x4 trails only during the hunting season. Plenty of rocks to manuver on and around.

I know there is tons of travel in the suspension. I also think you could even go with 37's and not cry about the room.

DSC08607.jpg

Your so right SirQ and by removing this rivet from the frame it's even going to add more flex and other trail attributes to her. It's not all about the flex, just so many other points also.
By doing this will give it more wheelbase then an Explorer Sport which I really like their WB.
IMO it's about the perfect lenght. But I'll have enough adjustment in the links to make even a little longer or even shorter then a sport. I'm talking only fractions of an inch though.

And I want the axle back to where I can design the 3 pt if I so elect.

DSC08609.jpg

Well honestly all I was going to do was to drill out those rivets to get it ready if and when I'd shove it back. Then before I knew it the holes were done and before long the axle was shoved back for the last time.

DSC08610.jpg

This is the bracket that is going to relocate back further on the frame toward rear. I'm adjusting the bushing so more threaded rod is into the tubing adapter, this will be about half and half.

DSC08617.jpg

The bushing that was on my knee is bolted further back on frame and utilized the existing rivet hole. But now it's even mounted in a much stronger part of the frame. Not only the main frame but the rear crossover support is bolted to the bushing bracket.
I may also incorporate this crossover frame into the 3 link attaching area.

DSC08628.jpg

Ya, a little more cutting will be in order.

DSC08625.jpg

The white piece of metal was cut flush with inside of axles and then radius of each axles was added at each end.
And now a few hours of work netted 102.5" wheel base of improved handling and hill climbing ability. Not mentioning other benefits like a better drive-line angle of 15 deg drive shaft which makes for longer ujoint life and so on.
Punch list for 2011 is getting shorter.

Huh,
"Oh I am just gonna cut some hardened rivets out today...Might as well move the whole rear axle back a few inches, too...my my my, gotta cut this fender now, oh well..."

Coffee sure does the trick for you, aye? :p:

Also, that isn't a grade 8 bolt replacing that rivet, is it?

Also, that isn't a grade 8 bolt replacing that rivet, is it?

It would be if it were mine. I would put a couple of washers on it and a mechanical locking nut too.

I like the lengthening of the wheel base. Now that you have the tires/ ride height under it, you might as well. I lengthened my exsploders wheel base about 4.5" to around 106.5" or so. I like the approach and departure much better. The handling was much better too. The rear could have handled more, but I think that was all my front would do short of moving the gear box. There was only a few spots I wished it was shorter, one being a steep waterfall that I high centered on, otherwise pretty much all around better. I am jealous yours is so easy to dial in. Heck, if you don't like it you can go back:cool:.

When I converted my ex, I used 4 grade 8 bolts and nuts to attach the 4x4 drop bracket to the engine cross member. They have been in there over a year and 4 thousand miles without needing a washers or lock nuts.

Then again I tightened the hell out of them... :D

Rookie probably has a good reason for using that type of bolt, also since there are still three other hardened rivets attaching the cross member to the frame it is highly unlikely that that bolt will fail.

Remove one rivet, move back radius arm bracket to hole that rivet was in and then later cut fender because wheel might hit fender from shoving axle back...is that better?
And I don't think you quoted it right.

A little confused about the way you posted the question about the grade 8 bolt.
Only time I would have made sure it was of lesser strength if I was building something like an extremely high reving sand drag or mud blasting competition truck.
Then I would have used a lesser grade on attaching bellhousing to block. And this comes from real experience from having clutches exploding within inches of my legs in my drag cars with engine sitting almost in your lap.
This was a very serious thing back in the late 60s untill Lakewood came around saved a lot of guys toes and feet. Don are you reading this?
I never like correcting anyone but I have to tell you that those rivets are not hardened. At least not on this truck. Do a spark test. In fact one could drill through one very easily. A lot of brackets on this truck have utilized an already existing hole where a rivet was used. Many rivets I just used a grinder on and was actually surpriesed how quickly they ground down. If they were hardened they would be almost impossible to mushroom the other end. Plus I Don't like drilling holes in a frame that already has so many holes in it from the factory.
The reason rivets are used is to let the frame have a little movement where as a welded crossmember could fatigue at the weld where it is perpendicular to the frame. Plus no worry of a nut ever backing off.
Even on a heavy piece of steel that I used to patch a large hole in the frame that I found after taking off the shock tower over 5 years ago. I cut the metal at a diamond shape. Reason-you never want to weld 90 degrees to the frame if you can help it.
Kirby you and I are thinking exactly alike on this build (a scary thought) and I agree 100% with ya. Yes I gave up a little "Brake Over Angel" but was more then made up for it like you said.
I could not get a flat washer on the one bolt due to the shape of the crossmember, but after torquing nut down a drop of ThreadLocker Red was applied to the threads which is better then any lock washer ever made. The stuff is so good that I read that some guys in the desert racing stuff use no lock washer, just the Red stuff. Just make sure you use the thread cleaner first.

Wow, I really screwed up in how I posted that. My bad. I guess when I meant hardened I was referring to them as real PITA's to get out...at least for me. :p:

Also, I was just curious if you used a grade 8 bolt and if you didn't, why not? Please don't be afraid to correct me, I know I have tons to learn. :D

The quote was just a bit of fun showing how much you do in a day compared to most people. :)

Ok, now I get the humor, it went right over my head ha ha.
I know when I post sometimes it don't come out he way I was thinking it.

I took it to the gas station since there is nothing but fumes in the tank except for about a gallon in the sump. It's hard to put into words the way the ride keeps improving from a stock wheel base from 94". One of the main reasons is the front shock stops rebounding before the back shock hits the bump. There is a fancy name for this but don't feel like looking it up.
Not much going on right now other then I'll try to stuff the rear tire again since I relocated the rear axle for the last time. (I think)
One day I might even do some sheet metal make over around the rear tire wheel well to balance the look out around the tire. (I think) Kinda looks cool on the other side of the coin though. Says that someone did push the axle back.
The comments i get from people are hilarious. But the best one I've heard so far was a guy came up to me at a gas station and said. "Just what was it before I finished it".
Another time, again at a gas station a long wheel base van parked next to me and it looked like a group of college athletes getting out and one said, "I've got a CJ that can take that" and came back real quick and said "That's if Barbie lets you use it" that got a round of laughs from his friends.

Should be getting an email from Advance about my case being shipped any day now. Crossing fingers.

it makes me laugh that people would take a glance and a vehicle and say theirs would "take" it. in what arena? Who's driving? how can you tell by a short look at my rig that i don't have a 3spd stack case with 4.88's and air lockers front and rear, and also that being said that i don't have a 500 hp v8 of some kind in there. people are dumb, but i do have a bII that would take your bII... lmao

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that was funny, you had me going. Bench racing is just so fun.
Then again an old fashioned Saturday night under the lights match race could be in order. Better be careful I'm liable to put your Wailer right back up on the Trailer.

Back