Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 102 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

just air down to like 2 psi... see if that clears the garage :) been there done that!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congradulations on the build. I have just read all 2021 posts and it took me forever but I did it. It is also good to see another person from Wild and Wonderful WEST VIRGINIA on this forum!! I really enjoyed watching you build this truck.
Good Luck with everything in the future im gonna be following this thread.

WOW, you guys must still be snow bound and had nothing better to do ;)
I'm humbled by what you said, thanks.

DSC03936.jpg

Now it's time to start thinking about stopping this beast :rolleyes:

I never imagined after making those quick release fenders and trashing those flimsy inner fender wells, how many times it made so many things so easy to work on.
I could not think of not doing it again if I ever build another one. But this build has only begun. :salute:

Ernest Hemingway once while on a Safari in Africa, told an Austrian while writing the Green Hills of Africa...
There are 3 things man should never have a time table on...Writing, painting, and hunting
. I would like to add a fourth...Building a Trail Rig/DD :cool:

DSC03937.jpg

There is just something so unsanitary about that hunk of sheet metal from cab to radiator support. There must be about 20 some small holes. Looks like it was hit with a load of 12 guage buckshot.
Now most is from all that crap that was stuck to the inside that I trashed.
Plus it hides all that cool tubing for coilover hoops and the coilover itself HA HA.
And I'm talking all trucks that have highly modified suspension systems.
If your like me, it turns my head when I see one going down the highway.

So going with that thought, why not build a better and stronger one with built in crumble zone. Yes a DOM tubed (don't know what that thing is called) inner most fender well. This way while doing trails with no fenders it would flow with the built theme? Not to mention even easier access to engine compartment. And think about this, could get to the adjustment on shocks with out having to go over or under that wide brace...just reach between tubes.
Not that 2 spinal surgeries has to do with hating to bend over for any amount of time mind you.

It's like when I'm at the track, I just love the looks of the dragster or Funny cars with the fiberglass or what ever fiber they're using now a days flipped up to expose all that cool workmanship.

About 15' of tubing and 6 hours it would be complete :rolleyes:

No im just a 16 year old boy that doesn't have a license yet (but getting this summer). Nothing to do after school hours so I read your post.

No im just a 16 year old boy that doesn't have a license yet (but getting this summer). Nothing to do after school hours so I read your post.

Well I'm only a 60+ boy that has nothing to do since retiring LOL. I hope you might have picked up an idea that sparked your imagination.
If you ever want to build a truck, don't let anyone tell you that you need expensive tools. What you can do with a 3/8" drill, sazall, high speed grinder and if you can get yourself a welder is only limited by your imagination.
And you don't even need a garage.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Haha. Thank You. Hopefully someday when I get some money and a mom that will let me put something to "play" with in the yard then I will be building something.

Looking really good. :thumbsup: Can't wait to see this thing in action.

Going back a couple pages, I tried the eel snot concoction, and boy that stuff works great. I found this http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=01102
which works great for the stuff. Just as convenient as a commercial product, yet reusable. At the memphis HF it was $4.98

Remember to shake it up cause it wants to separate in layers between the Acetone and tranny fluid.
I think on a molecular scale, the separation is still taking place when you spray in on some hard to remove bolts IMO. And this separation of molecules is still taking place between the threads and the part that it is threaded into causing it to loosen :dunno:

DSC03938.jpg

Looks like I got some fender trimming to do to the front. Thanks to shoving the front axle further forward.
The rear axle was also moved rearward a little.
It's now longer then the 2010 Jeep Wrangler that has the increased WB.

I really want to get those Early Bronco flares from Wild Horses or James Duff.
They look so tuff with the large wheel well openings and all those rivets showing.
I'll most likely have to modify them a bit.

The increased WB will give me a better approach and departure angle.
I can even make it longer by all the adjustment that's left in the links.
Starting to like this 4 link even though it's still sitting in the garage :(
Those are the wrong rims also.
The 1.5 reamer that I need to ream out Pitman arm has been paid for and on back order from Snapon :rolleyes:

DSC03940.jpg

just can not justify the cost of those flares.
Going built tubed flares.
I had a vision of them while staring at the clouds in my coffee this morning while feeling sorry for myself for having to spend so much money on a piece of plastic LOL

DSC03947.jpg

DSC03943.jpg

DSC03944.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

I have them designed so the leading of the front will cause the brush to slid past.
Those fenders push way in anyways. The inner fender was removed a couple of years ago.
I'll cover them with light guage sheet metal.

Tubing per 10'/$1.68
At that price I can make some spares compared to over $300 for the other ones.
Plus it has a large exposed area under these flares like the ones Duff and Wild horses sell. Not to mention it goes with the built theme of this build.
Plus I need them to stick out further then those.

Those rims are not slid up over hubs...wrong bolt pattern.

DSC03948.jpg

DSC03954.jpg

DSC03955.jpg

DSC03938.jpg

Now this is before with no room for tire during stuff since pushing axle forward.

DSC03959.jpg

And this is a day later. Exposing the heart and soul of the build.

DSC03961.jpg

Thanks Turdle.

Now there's just so much space.

I'll sand that overspray off later.

Modify and Modify that metal... Hope you are eating some of your "Happy Birthday" cake while you work ! :thumbsup:

I'm definitely liking the new flares. Gives it a more squared off look too.

going back to the eel snot, I do shake it pretty well, I may even get fancy and put a marble in the can like spray paint comes with.

Modify and Modify that metal... Hope you are eating some of your "Happy Birthday" cake while you work ! :thumbsup:

Thanks, in fact I'm having some more now with my coffee this fine Spring morning, contemplating my next move :rolleyes:
I know I need to make the other side, but that's getting old already.
Well I guess the back should match the front :D Especially since it also hits when stuffed once I went to the linked rear.
Might just do the back first today...mix it up a little.
And one day, who knows what size larger tires will go under this thing :D

Black91, I'm going to get one of those cans also and if in fact a marble will go inside, then there will be one, or least a wheel bearing.
My son works right next door to a HF and is going to pick me one up.
I like the squared look also. Plus they won't get all wavy looking in the hot Aug. sun.

Black91, I'm going to get one of those cans also and if in fact a marble will go inside, then there will be one, or least a wheel bearing.
My son works right next door to a HF and is going to pick me one up.
I like the squared look also. Plus they won't get all wavy looking in the hot Aug. sun.

The hole in the top where you pour your liquid in is over an inch in diameter. Should fit without a problem:)

DSC03962.jpg

Well, decided to start on back.
There is something so cool about doing a project and wondering, can I really do this?

DSC03966.jpg

The back has it's own set of unique problems. Like the sheet metal inner fender well that creates a double wall, nothing that can not be made stronger then before including all the rust I found where they both come together.

DSC03967.jpg

After cutting up about 4" there is now a gap about 1" that you see. This will be fixed by adding sheet metal from inner wheel well to outer fender.
The cool thing is that if I want I can even raise the inner fender well if it get in the way.

DSC03971.jpg

The way a bronco front and rear fenders were stamped out, there is a well pronounced hump that needs to be cut out to enlarge the opening and for the new fender flair to fit flush.

DSC03969.jpg

Now some of our younger followers might think, your destroying it. But I like to think of it as I'm surgically removing cancerous growth to be replaced by a much stronger skin.
It will be all trimmed up and purdy when I'm done and with many more usable years ahead of her.
This is the right hand side of the opening that needed to be extended out also.
Need to go and get more medical supplys.

ouch

get that fixed up!!

ill keep my fiberglass and pull my bedsides me thinks

I vote 38's

ouch

get that fixed up!!

ill keep my fiberglass and pull my bedsides me thinks

I vote 38's

38's :thumbsup: What do you run?

Might just try to push out also before flairs go on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 35's :) 37's in the future

although 37-38's would be cool, a locked BII with 35's will go just about anywhere...

38's would be pushing it, but oh so cool!

Back