Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 118 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that really made the rear bumper nice. Before I was thinking it was just adequate, now it has a more custom and function. Awesome.

Yeah, that really made the rear bumper nice. Before I was thinking it was just adequate, now it has a more custom and function. Awesome.

Well when two of the Big Boys chimed in and made some suggestions, this Ole Dog listened. And who says you can't teach an Old Dog new Tricks LOL.

DSC05370.jpg

Adequate

DSC05401.jpg

And after utilizing their ideas.
Ends are welded shut as one can see if they scroll back a page... As Per Instructions

Not sure what your street legal laws are there, but I have some good ideas for removable mud flaps.

Now thats just in time. I did a little wheeling this morning at my local rock pile testing some mods that I did on axle.
When I pulled out on the highway I've must have been slinging mud (rained the day before) cause the car behind me was falling back.
No lie, I was even going out in the garage to see where I put those B2 mud flaps at when I sold the matching trailer. Hmmm hope I took them off.

Please Post

Now this pic makes a bad situation look even worse cause I was walking up the stairs to my drive way. So camera angle is about level with pavement...but still needs some kind of on/off flaps.

ok, Attach 2 ubolts to the back of the bumper. Get 2 lengths of chain and 2 clevis. Attack the chain to the mud flaps and I'd add a weight strip to the bottom of the mudflap. That way it will stay down at speed.

Might get away with just 2 links attached to the flap. The clevis will make it real quick to remove.

DSC05402.jpg

Like this here. Two per flap, chain and eye bolt or something to attach at bumper?

you got it.

Or this kind of Clevis.
fixescrewlinks.jpg

OK, Looks like a trip to Tractor Supply. I've got my yearly Modified Inspection coming up next month and I have to have some Anti flying debris guards. :thumbsup:

DSC05404-1.jpg

Just got back from TS with some clevis hooks and a piece of rubber mat that they sell by the liner foot. Could be used for various things, like bed liners. It's 1/4" thick and cost me a little over $5 for 12"x 40" piece.

DSC05407-1.jpg

Next was to my friends sheet metal shop were I used a jump shear to cut some stainless steel sheets.
It's a little tuff to cut with shears.

DSC05406-1.jpg

DSC05408-1.jpg

DSC05411-1.jpg

There it is, along with a little help from my friends :salute:
Takes about 5 seconds to install or take off.
I have two clips welded to the frame for the clevis hooks to attach to.
Could have used just galvanized metal, but I like the way the big rigs mud flaps reflect the sun with their stainless trimmed flaps...LOL
And don't even ask if I'm going to use the cute looking chick that you see on some mud flaps that have her sitting down and leaning back...It's not going to happen along with those retarded Bull Nuts that some guys got hanging off the rear axle ha ha .
Now Yosimitie Sam with his two handguns drawn, saying "Back Off" may just work.

Now on days that I'm not in the rain or snow, I'll just un-snap and stow behind seat.

wow man i love the homemade mud flaps, 100% cooler than store bought. Guess thats the point of your rig though lol, based on what your license plate says.

DSC05416.jpg

Need to make the rear receiver mount for the 8000# Warn winch on the new bumper as strong as the front. Was going just use one receiver pin mount, but now thought I'll make it just like the front.
The front is a Receiver/Bumper mount. Not just receiver mount, huh?
On the front it is really more then just a single pin receiver mount. Yes it has a pin through the receiver, but problem is that it's not as strong as a bumper mounted winch.
Some people people for that reason do not use a receiver mount.
But what I did adds the strength of a bumper mounted winch with the portability of a receiver winch.
The plate that the winch is mounted to also has two 5/8" pull pins that go through the plate into the bumper. Giving my a 3 pt mount.
This will spread the load out to the bumper, especially when doing off center winching giving it much more lateral bracing.
And it has held up well with plenty of pulls.
So I need to add two more pin locations to the rear bumper to accommodate the two plate pins.
In the pic there is a pin through one of the plate holes, but no bumper bracket. The only pin holding right now is the one through the receiver.

DSC05417.jpg

Made up two bumper brackets and doing some fitting for the weld.

DSC05421.jpg

So now I have a Receiver/Bumper mount in front and rear.
Just need to get a new 5/8" bit.

DSC05429.jpg

I thought the B2 was just a tad bit sluggish on occasions.
Well yesterday it gave a slight hesitation while coming out of a turn. This is not good!
So I thought it might be a fuel delivery thing so I started at the carb and took the in-line fuel filter off.
This is a Summit model and has an extremely fine mesh screen. It is the red cannister located below carb.
I have another one in the tank that is larger then the stock filter that was on it. It has about %400 more surface area.

DSC05431.jpg

And here is the culprit. Notice all the fine crap up against the bottom of screen.
Now the question is, how did it get there?

DSC05434.jpg

Cleaned the screen and this is what came out :(

DSC05427.jpg

Next was to remove the spare tire so I could get to the exposed gas tank.
Under the flap is the sending unit/pick-up tube & filter.
This mod of making it extremely easily to get to tank and sending unit has came in handy many times.

DSC05428.jpg

Sending unit is in the rear. The line up front is vent line that I installed long ago.

When I un-screwed the locking ring to remove the sending unit...yikes, there was no filter on the end of the tube :eek:

It's only held on by friction. You just slid it on I thought.
But I guess over the years all the bumps it finally just worked it's way off.
Once I fished it out of tank, I noticed a little small hole that was next to the opening for the pick-up tube.
Maybe this was for some kind of fail safe thing? I really forgot what make and model this filter was originally for? I still have the box and might be able to find out if I punch in the part #.

DSC05425.jpg

At any rate, I slipped it back on and then did the old safety wire thing :p:
This sock style filter is a lot larger then the little canister that slid on the end of the tube.
My thinking is that I would have to change it less with the larger surface area, that is if it stays on ;)

DSC05440.jpg

Here's a little trick that one can do with your stick welder. I know a lot of you guys know this but some of the new guys might not.

I need a little attaching rod with a loop for my other mud flap. But was out of anything like that. And instead of driving 12 miles to the hardware store.
I just set my welder on high, grabbed a 6013 rod. Then struck an ark, but then held stick about 1/2" to 3/4" away and heated the rod.
Then it was just a matter of bending around a steel dowel.
The first one did not come out so well. So the next one (gray primer) I just tacked the end of the rod to the steel dowel and wrapped around it as it was still glowing red.
It's an old hood latch ha ha. Then cut to size and welded to bumper.
I've even used the same rod to cut metal on the high setting.

DSC05443.jpg

There, now it should pass the modified inspection in a few weeks.

its funny how a lot of people write stick arc welders off, mig is really nice but i had a year of shop class devoted to stick arc welding. it crazy what you can do, ive cut with them before but i had never thought of using a 6013 rod like that, nice job, makes those bad a mudflaps even better.

its funny how a lot of people write stick arc welders off, mig is really nice but i had a year of shop class devoted to stick arc welding. it crazy what you can do, ive cut with them before but i had never thought of using a 6013 rod like that, nice job, makes those bad a mudflaps even better.

I also have a MIG, it's like riding a bike, wants you learn you can leave alone for a long time and come back laying a nice bead down. But for me, I have to keep in practice with the stick.
When I go to the Mig sometimes I forget and start moving my hand towards the work as if I'm allowing for the burning of the stick LOL.

One other thing about heating with the 6013, make sure you keep the rod moving or else you'll have a little lava flow going on ha ha.

Also a few posts back I had a problem with a slight bog, and it was definitely the crap in the fuel filter. Took it out this morning to get my usual Dunkin Coffee and... smooth as silk.

When I go to the Mig sometimes I forget and start moving my hand towards the work as if I'm allowing for the burning of the stick LOL.

Ive caught myself doing that from time to time as well, actually last weekend we were welding in mounts for a new floor in my old mans yeep (complete rust bucket) and i did that, funny how it gets ingrained haha

DSC05445.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

DSC05447.jpg

What good is a mud flap fastened to a truck that's sitting in the garage, absolutely nothing. ;)
Need to go out and and do some preliminary testing.
The rear axle is moved so far back that i was concerned about running over top of it in reverse. OK, a little carried away on that one :D
There is just enough bind built into it to keep it from waving all over the place.

Of course I'm also giving the whole drive train a little work out also. But those mud flaps came through with flying colors.

DSC05389.jpg

Darn 33s, would have made it over with 37s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back