Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 128 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

I trust you will do a good write up on the install!

Can't wait, but it will be a few weeks.

Have to do something quick on the roof light. Seems mother nature had something to do with it. After this heavy rain and 50 mph winds it lowered some pine tree branches as I found out this morning doing a trail ride to my hunting spot.
All of a sudden my roof light was pointing sky high. Can't have this happen again so I need to make some kind of protective cage around the light.
The lens did not break, but the hit rotated the light housing back.

DSC07046-1.jpg

So I took some 5/16" solid round rod and had plans to wrap it around something that would be close. It had to be the right size that would let me take off the light filters if need be. Bingo...my acetylene tank was perfect.
So I cold formed it around the tank...no I did not heat it up while on tank ha ha.

DSC07047-1.jpg

So I checked the size against the exact light that's mounted on the bar.

DSC07049-1.jpg

Then welded. Now that was easier then I thought.

DSC07050-1.jpg

Now to figure out a way to mount. I know at least one support will go to roof and other to the light bracket on opposite side.
Bottom line is that I don't want the light to take that kind of hit again.
Which is just a matter of time and most likely will happen on one of my early morning hunting trips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy giant pic batman...

OK Robin, see if that's better. Keep forgeting to change camera setting after taking wildlife pics. I do them large and then it's better for cropping.
I'll go up one size from these on next, unless I forget again.

DSC07053.jpg

Not much of a mod, but better then no mod at all. But none the less, an important one.
Starting to take shape. The flat flange bracket will connect to top of cab and other to the light bracket. Might add a cross bar/bars to front also but need to know if they have to be radiused or flat across light guard to get lens covers off.
Plus the ring is about 2" in front of light to help out in the heat dept.

Could even use the ring itself as a mount for some kind of DIY lens cover.
At any rate, going out in the big woods this morning before light, I'll just keep in mind about low hanging branches ha ha.

DSC07057.jpg

Well my light survived the Big Woods trip and so did all the Deer.
I'll be alright with putting a flush mounted rod straight across. I have just enough room to remove cover or different filters.

DSC07055.jpg

This is the light cage bracket that will attach to the light bracket. This thing is turning into a bigger production then I thought. Has about as many angles and components as one of the axle mods :rolleyes:

Going to tack the support rod to the little plate. Have the windshield covered and ground clamp near the weld. This angle has to be just perfect, that's why I'm doing it this way. Then after tack, remove and finish the weld.

DSC07070.jpg

Now I need to go out and slam into some branches, that's if I can get out of the garage :eek: But first paint it.

DSC07109.jpg

Ford Blue. Might as well see if it dries any faster next to the fire instead of out in the garage. I'd like to put it on tomorrow morning.

DSC07114.jpg

Left just a little Ford Blue on that spruce bough, nothing serious ;)

DSC07115.jpg

I think you knew this was coming. Used the same acetylene tank but went to a larger 3/8" rod.

DSC07116.jpg

Tied the light cage in at 3 pts. You can grab the hoop and literally shake the whole truck. I believe the $3.50 and 1/2 hour was good insurance for that one light. Now to do the other.

DSC07136.jpg

DSC07139.jpg

Also have them leaning out at the top. One, for more strength in case of heavy impact and Two, for ease of lens cover removal.
They are triangulated also, but hard to tell from photo.

Ya, must have made a mistake and it came out not too bad ha ha.
I also did not make the hoop into a 180 degree U-bend but more of a /\ configuration for more lateral strength.
Hitting a Deer is very real problem here. The one stretch of road I travel that parallels a Dupont Corp plant and over 1000 acres of Deer infested woods and fields on one side and private farms on the other. Then couple the problem with some of those private farms have automatic deer feeders that even bring more deer to cross that section of road. I have already totaled one Chrysler car and wife knocked one deer over on top of her hood.
Just yesterday morning I had to slam on the brakes because this little doe decided to play Bumper pool with my Bronco.
It's not bad during the daylight, but early in the morning before Daylight when their going back to their bedding area or late evening when their leaving their bedding area Look Out.
One day I might just drive with one hand have camera in other, just to take a pic of what I'm saying.
These LightForce lights are a real blessing when traveling that section of road. I can see so much of the sides of the road now. Of course I have to turn them off when on coming traffic is coming. I have noticed also that when I have them on and their is someone following behind me that they also see the deer standing on the side of the road and are not as prone to rear end me when I slam on the binders or let off the gas.

I think the truck now reminds me of one of those little 4x4 trucks that some of the local Fire departments have to combat brush fires.

My biggest concern now is my annual Inspection which is not untill next Sept. But When I called him and told him how I'm running those Hella driving lights as low beams that are turned down. Which BTW not one person has flicked their High beams at me, so that means their not annoying anyone. And that I'm using another pair of lights which are my LightForce lights as my high beams. Which I never turn on driving locally with on coming traffic.
He said really your not supposed to do that but he said he understands the Concept of the Law as to not blind people, but it sounds like "you did it in a way as not to blind people as long as you don't drive around with the high beams on".
The problem arises when some idiots thought they were cool by blinding people people with those improperly installed HDs or turning their Roof lights on while driving.
At any rate, he said leave them like they are and bring down next Sept. and he'll take a look at them. If they do fail, my plan is to take out the Hella and put a conventional High/Low HD head light in and leave the LightForce as axillary lights.
OK, my ranting is over.

Time to load up gear in the B2, or whats left of it and see if I can keep the Deer population in check, so far I'm not doing well.
One better not cross if front of me this morning, nothing like a dis-gruntled Deer hunter.

DSC07305.jpg

Been too long without hearing the melodious humm sound of the welder.
And the light cage needed the other side tri-anglelated anyway, and more importantly, It gets me off the couch. :thumbsup:
You can see the angled support on the other side of the loop that was originally done.

DSC07308.jpg

Chip away the slag then paint and this light will be done. Then on to other side.

DSC07312.jpg

All done.

OK guys, after posting some questions and reading posts about transfer/doublers on other threads on this site and including feed back from you guys. Not mentioning dozens of other sites.
I'm changing plans. I'm about 99% I'll be going with the Atlas transfer case.
By the time I get another transfer case/cases and trying to build them Bullet Proof with all the after market gears and related stuff and doing the math. I've come to the conclusion of what I've read so many times ... "I could have bought an Atlas". Or "should have bought an Atlas.
I was following BellaVistas thread on building a bullet proof D20 that in the long run would cost as much as an Atlas and then have it Grenade on him.
Thinking of doing what this Guru of Off-Roading did...Just go Atlas.
I have spoken with the guys at Advance Adapters and they are ready to build me one to my specs that will fit my drive train.
As usual, I'll do an install with plenty of pics.
Knew there was a reason I shoved those axles for a longer wheelbase ha ha.

Ive had experience with a couple of doubler setups, like the 203/205 and the box for rocks for the np231 and i would say the atlas really is the way to go. One thing on the doublers though is the ability to leave a higher ratio in the axles bk you have 1:1 high, something like a 2.5 or 3:1 low and a 4.5 or 5:1 super low. My buddy is running a 208/205 doubler in his chevy buggy, it has 42 pitbull rockers but is running 4.10:1 diffs, when he gets onto the rocks he has more options with the doubler than a 2spd tcase, even though you can get the atlas in about any gear ratio you want. Any thought on your ratio? you can get away with a lower ratio atlas if you have an auto bk of the torque converter. In a standard rig you really don't want to go to low bk even with disk brakes front and rear you can't stop the thing, guess not something you have to worry about though.

Its now occuring to me that i have no idea what your real intended use for your truck is, I know its your dd, and you don't seem to wheel a ton, do you really need 4:1 gear reduction? or is it just a strenght thing? bk they are waaaaaaay tough tcases, rated for what 700hp or somethimg? very cool plan though i dig it

Going with the atlas before lockers? seems like with all that horsepower and such a light truck, you really wouldn't be in need of any more power. Unless you just want the gearing to bring the speed down?

Anderson... Strength #1, the versatility of the twin stick and the much anticipated harder wheeling to come ;)

I really do not DD as much anymore with it as I drive the family car more and more due to gas prices.
I want to get into more and more into the hard wheeling and doing some trails like Raushe creek and similar places.
I now have access to a trailer and some guys that will go with me. Before I had no trailer and no tow truck since my X exploded and I'll be darn if I'm going to drive it a few hours on the highway to get there all to have it brake down by myself with no way to trailer it home, hence the easier trails near home. I'm also looking into used pick-up to tow it, after my X exploded and then look out ha ha. So with the Atlas that will be the first step into some really hard wheeling.

No, I would not get it or need it for what I do now, (now is fast becoming past tense) but the lack of trailer and a few other parts have held me back, now the door is swinging further open. Some Chromo axles are on the list, but for what axle I don't know yet cause I've been checking on a D60 for rear :)
Thanks for your input. Also this will be the 2 speed Atlas not the one with the New Process reduction box in the front.
And besides, Hunting season is about over and I need some more projects to Channel my over active desire to...Not Leave Well enough alone :D
Hey, I just noticed I'm drinking this mornings coffee out of a cup with some Elk pics on it from Idaho ;)

And Aric, I have already spoken with Aussie and as soon as their production run for D44s are done I'll be getting one. This will just be another step into harder wheeling. Next I will need to do something with the rear. Spool? any ideas about that? Nothing too expensive cause what I said in the above paragraph.
So now you can see that it is definitely taking on a new perspective. Including the whole caged mod that I did anticipating some more aggressive rides. When you remove the doors and front fenders you can see It's now a buggy type thing. And who knows, maybe one day...no tags, just wheel it! Then again it sure is fun to drive on the street...Must be a Brett Farve thing.

yeah im fairly certain of the origin of that mug haha. yeah the atlasII is freaking sweet. your rig is going to be bombproof. you should bring it out to the Moab run in may. i think Heath and i are looking at coming down this year.

as far as lockers what wrong with an aussie out back too?

yeah im fairly certain of the origin of that mug haha. yeah the atlasII is freaking sweet. your rig is going to be bombproof. you should bring it out to the Moab run in may. i think Heath and i are looking at coming down this year.

as far as lockers what wrong with an aussie out back too?

Good point :thumbsup: Not much more in price then a Spool.

The only way you'll see my truck at Moab would be photochopped at the Proving Grounds :D
Ain't in the budget.

But at least I can say I did wheel once out west in the early 70s with my Toy LC for 2 weeks in CO. around Grand Junction, White Nat. Forrest and some BLM land around Rifle Co. Camped out the whole time. If I ever find the pics I'll post them.
I know one thing, I never seen/felt mud so slippery after a brief rain going up some of those trails.

Havent been on here in a while. Looks good. I sold my X so the explorer forum is not the place for me anymore. I have been hanging out around wvstreets.com
Its almost all people from wv and its a pretty neat site. you should check it out rick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was wondering where you went to? I'll check that out, thanks.

Back