Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 131 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

DSC08293.jpg

Now here's a pic you don't see every day. Going to let it cure for a min. of 72 hours due to the high humidity and then I might even coat again.

Going to lay off this for awhile. Too much time with welding fumes and this epoxy stuff. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DSC08296.jpg

Well 72 hours drying time is just not going work for me. Patience is not my virtue ha ha.
Now I can understand 72 hours on a normal tank with only a 2" round supply.
But this has an 8 x6" opening that my porcelain heater fits just right for circulating Hot Dry air.
This was put in last night and now it's hard with no after smell. Going to put in another coat since I have some of that expensive stuff left. Instructions say a second coat is not a bad idea.
The piece of metal (.080 aluminum) laying of floor will be taken to the sheet metal shop this morning and cut to 10 x 8 for a removable, gasketed inspection plate.
Then things like tip-over valve and some sort of cool looking gas cap will be ordered.
BTW, won't be using the side gas vent on truck, I'll make that into something else. The new fuel cell will have the filler at tank.
May try to modify my existing fuel gauge sender to work also. A new one is expensive. Could just do the old Indian trick...just stick wooden stick in tank, and if stick is wet, I've got that much fuel left. Nothin I have not done in the past.
Thinking of bed lining the outside of tank?

DSC08299.jpg

Being I have that large access cover I'm able to look right in. Here is a good reason for another coat. Notice how the epoxy for some reason did not lay on as thick about 1 inch from where the welds are.
When welding this I could have used a Heat Sink but as you can tell there was no need to.

So what is did this morning take some sealer that was left in can and actually brush it on that area.
Did not have enough to cover whole inside, so in a few days I think I'll get a another can and do another splash around

DSC08300.jpg

Kert, this is the only cover that I'll have. I placed directly over the sump just in case I need to get any crap out.
I may have come up with an idea on mounting the in tank prefilter before gas goes into sump.

OK, here's my idea, that alone ought to scare ya ha ha.
Going to take some old 2.5" exhaust pipe , never used. A spring that I saved out of the modulator valve last week, (even mentioned that I could use it for something when I saved it) some old 3/8" steel rod, a large washer and one new Ford cannister style fuel filter and hopefully come up with a complete workable fuel filter that will filter all gas before entering sump and can be easily removed.
Not to mention handling all the kinetic energy generated by the small tsunami waves in tank.

DSC08302.jpg

OK, here's the exhaust pipe marked and getting ready to cut.

DSC08305.jpg

No it's not the making of the Burger King crown.

DSC08306.jpg

Now enter part # FF4425 with it's large surface area. Of course it's Ford.
The bottom end is open. Took apart many different types and sizes including sock style before settling on this one. Wanted one that is easily picked up at local auto stores.

DSC08313.jpg

Now install one C4 tranny modulator spring on top of filter. Perfect fit for the recessed part on filter.
Plan starting to take shape.
Notice entrance holes drilled in exhaust, uh, excuse me, filter cannister.

DSC08308.jpg

Now weld the washer with lip that will encompass spring to 3/8" rod Tee handle.
If you think you've seen that washer before, it's because it came off the backside of one of those round magnets. Just heated and it came right off.

DSC08311.jpg

Then push turn and lock. Walla
Hard to tell from pic, but there is plenty of space between outside of filter and the inside of cannister.
Also had to weld cannister to steel in vice or this would have jumped up to ceiling.

DSC08320.jpg

Even has gasket on bottom.
So this will be the first in a series of filters including the final one inside the Holley state of the art off-road carb. About the only thing that can happen to this carb is the jets getting clogged, other then that..No problems.

Nothing left but to install and epoxy.

Nice!! :thumbsup:

I have an interesting video on the above mentioned filter. Concerning that well thought of question concerning the
question.

This was taken at a top level secret Government location that I can not disclose the location. But you will be able to immediately notice the top rate testing facility that it is.
Once my daughter gets up and downloads it, I'll post. Seems my computer is crapping out in that department.

As regards to fuel pump I might run the one I have now for a shot time. But will sooner or later get one of either Carter, which has withstood the test of time or the one some of the Top dogs in the kOHs run.
Which is made by Walbro.

I like the way this pump when mounted below tank will let gas pass thru even when not on. Now remember, this is not only gravity flow all the way to pump. But also the sump being sealed all the way up to the rubber gasket on filter, now acts like a negative pressure plenum due to pump. Everything above the will be positive on the filter and negative below which will make life a lot easier on pump and getting fuel thru filter and then eventually into the negetive pressure area of the ventura in the carb...where all the fun is made.
The inside removable 70 micron filter in pump is nice also. And this is very fine filter and before the internal workings of the pump.

Thanks MrQ.

DSC08324-1.jpg

Now for the old water test. Not a drop.

DSC08325.jpg

Now this was fun. Had to reach in tank and weld the fuel filter housing in.
It was made a little easier when I used some shorter rods that I had left over from previous welds.
After it's all cleaned out from welding, I'll do one more top coat.

Today I also went by the local 4x4 shop and ordered one fill tube. It's the kind you see on top of those fuel cells with all the bolts around the snout.
Also one roll over/gas tank bulkhead vent.

Can't wait to tear out the gas tank shield which is really low and then the tank itself. Now this tank being heavy and up in the frame won't need that shield.
If for some reason I think i need one it will be flat across.

Not only will this mod enhance trail/rock rides. But it ought to make that rear really look bad A$$ like the front does. Of coarse IMO. Should be able to see clear above axle to axle.

DSC08327.jpg

Now to trash this un-sightly ground hugging behemoth.

DSC08329.jpg

DSC08331.jpg

This is tank is only a few years old.
I'll remove the low bulkhead fitting, braided hose, in line filter, fuel sender and might even cut out the metal around tank that the sending unit attaches too.
Kirby in Colorado said he'll be glad to do it. I'm just a little too busy to do it :p:

Actually, I'm just roughing it in to check fit.
The fuel cell is not 100% but once done I want the tank install to go smooth. Of course that's easier said then done.

DSC08332.jpg

First thing is the shock bracket on top left hand side of hole has to go.

DSC08334.jpg

One less shock mount and fabbing up some supports.

DSC08250.jpg

From this to...

DSC08342.jpg

To this. Just temporary now.
Just when I thought I could not change the looks of this truck, this mod came along. But it's far from just looks. It really does enhance the capabilities better and maybe the wheel base pushed even further Hmm.

But that will be down the road further, no pun intended.

I've been researching an optimum length, and it's not there yet IMO.
Hard to believe there is a tank tucked in there that is even larger then the stock tank.
Still have got a lot to do on the tank before it goes in there permanently.

DSC08338.jpg

And once installed, it will be a breeze to work on the fuel sending unit, inside filter and to even clean the inside of tank. That alone made all the hours and hours worth it.
Plus it kept me of the couch ha ha. And by DIY, the price of that new Atlas just became cheaper in a twisted kind of way. Need to fined out when it will be ready for shipping?

DSC08354.jpg

going to adapt the sending unit that was in the stock tank. It's about 1.5" to short, so I'll add some length to it. That sock filter was modified to fit after I took off the small stock filter. This will just be an extra port cause I'll be using a low supply off the bottom sump.
Checking th Ohm reading to make sure it's still working.

DSC08355.jpg

Going to install the sending unit in the removable cover.
After holes are drilled I'll make up a gasket.

Trick Trucks just called and said parts just came in for the tank :D
Got to go.

DSC08356-2.jpg

Now that's sexy, but the roll over valve was wrong so hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Just noticed that the spelling is wrong. Should be RIC ha ha.

I've missed alot since i have been lost. I couldnt find password , and i couldnt find the name of the website after i restarted my computer on pc linux. So im officially back. Going to paint my truck camo all around when its warmer outside. probably spring time., if i do it now, the paint will just crack. and im doing it all with a spray paint can. !! lol you guys have seen my john deere green hood, and its great but just i want it camo all the way around, and bronco looks good by the way .

Yes sir, that's a great green hood. Oh, my bronco, ya it's not bad.

DSC08357.jpg

Filler is bolted on. The really cool thing is this...It's mounted so the filler is dead in the middle of the truck bed. Yep, I bet you can see where I'm going with this ha ha.

Getting tired of drilling all these holes. Now I'm tapping the 16 ga metal for a 10x24 bolt sthat will be threaded up from bottom.

Also bought a roll of Fel-pro gasket material so I can make a custom gasket for the access door.

DSC08361.jpg

The cover was placed on the tank in the right spot and then drilled with a .230 drill bit that passed into tank. Tap the holes in the tank and then re-drilled the cover a little larger so it would slip easily over bolts.

DSC08364.jpg

Hopefully will have this cell painted Black and plumed out tomorrow.
Also going to make a safety frame around top that will connect to truck just to be on the safe side.

Still thinking about that Green hood.

lot prettier than that stocker for sure. the truck really is more Rick than ford now, haha

DSC08368.jpg

DSC08370.jpg

Well let's see if we can make it even prettier.
This is the makings of the hold down device. Those tabs I bought on sale at Ballistic Fab are coming in very handy now. There's two on the back also.

DSC08386.jpg

DSC08379.jpg

Now what do you think of that janderson? Kinda sexy I think.
Now it is obvious why I cut out the rear bed above the axle many months ago. Just did not want to say anything yet.
I don't know about more rick than Ford, but it sure ain't your Garden variety B2 anymore. you can see clear thru the suspension including over the D44.
No low hanging front cross member or drooping gas tank.

DSC08385.jpg

By raising the tank it opened up all kinds of possibilities on the rear suspension.

I took it for a spin. Fun watching my Gear Head buddies giving me thumbs up when they saw new look.
But with only 2 gal. in the new tank there was no clicking of the fuel pump sucking air like the stock tank would have done with the gas sloshing from side to side when taking some of these turns.

DSC08389.jpg

Thought I'd put another coat of paint of the bottom of tank, before I go out and play in the new snow :cool:
And tie up some loose wires.

Just so much more room to work on suspension and rear axle.
Now I'll change the track bar location and angle being I don't have to worry about the tank and belly pan. Going to give it some thought on pushing the axle back a little more also but that won't be untill the Atlas is installed.

DSC08411.jpg

Hey, a guy can't be all work and no play.
Just seeing how she does in about 8" of fresh snow. Some spots were much deeper due to wind.

Fun being the first out on some old snow covered dirt roads. This was only about 1/2 mile from my house.

DSC08418.jpg

As you can see, this was that really wet stuff.
Off camber rides were interesting with the locked rear.
Plus no pushing snow like the d35 did and no more gas tank skid marks in the snow either :D

Now about the Atlas transfer case. I got an email saying they have all the parts and are ready to start putting it together. They won't take any money untill all parts are in house. So I sent email back saying you will be paid in full no later then Feb 11. I can't get my monthly check any sooner ha ha.
So by late Feb I ought to have my case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back