• Register Today It's free!

Ride after lowering

greylimit

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I just had the Steeda lowering springs installed on my 17 Sport and had a question for those who have lowered. It only lowered less than an inch in front. When going over a bump, sounds like a clunk sound. Never noticed on the stock springs, but wasn’t really listening. Is this normal, just the stiffer springs or is there a problem? Also had to change the strut mounts. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten up your end links? If not, I could see that being an issue.

Could be the springs aren't seated properly. Experienced before on previous cars when installing springs myself.

I fixed the issue. Wound up taking the strut out and reseating and retightened everything up to spec. The little arrow on top of the mount was pointed inward instead of outward. Don’t know if that is an issue or not, but placed it outward. Got an alignment and all in the green. No more noises and rides great again.

I know when I lowered my Fusion, the front strut mounts had to be clocked correctly otherwise there would be some clunking noises too.

Good to hear your issue is resolved. I still recommend always tightening suspension components to the torque specs to avoid noises.

Back