• Register Today It's free!

Ride Control Helpers

Alfonzman00

Reaction score
City, State
Platteville, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
I haven't found much through search about this question, so I'm going to see if anyone around has any clues:

I'm modifying my suspension setup on my 1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I am putting softer springs in the rear, lowering the front end using the torsion bar adjusters, replacing all of the shocks with Rancho 9-way adjustable models and I'm planning on using a "coil-over kit" on the front shocks, and coil spring load levellers on the rear. My goal in all of this is to drop the vehicle ride height by at least 1 inch front and rear and have a softer, smoother suspension that won't bottom out over every pot hole. I figure that the coils over the shocks on the front will allow the front suspension to travel as much as it can without bottoming out. In the rear, I plan to use the coils that mount over the axle and come into contact with the frame to keep the rear from bottoming out as well.

I'm curious what anyone else has to say about this setup. Will it work as I plan it to--more or less? Does anyone have experience with this coil over kit for the front? Has anyone ever tried to do something similar without raising the vehicle height?

This is the "coil-over" spring kit I'm planning on using on the front. It is supposed to be a universal fit but I'm not sure if it will work on the front.
JCwhitney.com Product Number: 15874G

This is the coil that I'm using on the rear.
JCwhitney.com Product Number: 15887G
(the URL broke)

I would appreciate any comments, thoughts, feedback that anyone has. I plan on doing a full write up with pictures when everything gets in.

Back