Ride Feedback on aging parts, shocks?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ride Feedback on aging parts, shocks??

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
At 112,000 miles I know things have gotten some good wear and tear, but 70% of that mileage is easy highway mileage.

My ride seems to be changing a bit, just feeling a bit rougher. I know that is vague but it is like I am feeling the road more than I used to.

That said, Ford overhauled the tranny at 100k miles. Tires have 22k on them, regularly rotated. Pressures are checked cold every Saturday morning. Taking my hand off the wheel the car will track very, very straight, no pull.

Would I call this a vibration, no, just different. I heard someone describing similar to this and saying transmission, but it is working like a charm and the service did not show any indications of any problem, no metal shavings, relatively good fluid.

I always think of shocks going when I see that car bouncing up and down on the highway, but when shocks start to go, I am on my original set, would they start to cause a ruffer ride, or would they simply provide me that bounce affect?

Open to any ideas, thoughts, things to look at and no, there is no fluid leaks at the struts.

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rougher ride as you pointed out, could be a few things. Even though you rotate, and the alignment is straight, you could have lost a wheel weight. When my rears went out, it was just more 'creaky' not so much bouncy.

What are the driving conditions you are in that would lead you to believe its, rougher? Is it in the front you feel it or the rear? In the pedal, in your seat? At speed or slowing to a stop?

When I rotated the tires I did see that the weights on two of the wheels were missing. In one case, all the weights on one wheel and on the other, some of the weights. I have that work planned for Friday in hopes that helps.

As for the ride change, as soon as I get over 45 I seem to feel it. Never slowing. Oh, brakes are new drilled and slotted Powerstop that went on after all this began. Love them by the way.

Yeah, I would start with the cheap stuff, LOL Wheel weights will make things feel like odd. Especially once you get moving.

Those are my next purchase for sure! As soon as my current set needs it, Im replacing with those.

I'd think the shocks are probably overdue for a change. Have you checked them for leaks? They can result in a rougher ride, hence the name. Shock absorbers. ;)

Peter

I'd think the shocks are probably overdue for a change. Have you checked them for leaks? They can result in a rougher ride, hence the name. Shock absorbers. ;)

Peter
I agree, which is why I am asking around for people's opinions. I did install new rotors the other week and they looked very clean and w/o any leaks but I have Bilstein B6's on my shopping list, if I can every find them.

Back