• Register Today It's free!

Rides Like A Horse!

swhite005

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Anyone know if replacing the shocks on my 1991 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 will improve the ride? What else, in regards to the suspension, will improve the ride if replaced? It breaks bones when I go over bumps at moderate speeds!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your current shocks are blown or have outlived their useful life, then yes, replacing the shocks with jsut about anything will ride better

My 91 sport has new shocks on it, and im sorry to say that it still has the roughest ride of anything I have ever rode in.

I replaced all 4 shocks on my 93 Eddie B with Monroe Sensatracs, the difference was night and day but I had bad shocks.

Although my wife said the X rides way better now than when we first got it. (some 27k ago)

Now you know why Ford purposely underinflated the tires ...

It's a truck guys, a 4x4 no less, it's not supposed to ride like a car ... softer shocks just make it waddle

I replaced all 4 shocks in my 94. It made an improvement with stock tires. When I got the 31's mounted, they inflated them to 35 psi. Holy poop they would rattle your teeth from your jaws over bumps!

And personally, I think it's not just because it's a 4x4... I had a 91 Ranger, lifted 4" with a pretty stiff suspension. It still went over bumps smoother. The Exploder just doesn't know how to LAND.

Yeah, if you want an explorer that rides nice, get an 02+ which trades off road capability for the ride of a car.

All new shocks will do is help with cornering and control excessive suspension movement. They won't make it ride any softer.

I personally enjoy the stiff ride. It lets me know I'm driving a real 4x4 :D

check that your shackles arent seized, i had to use a hammer after i removed the bolts to get mine to move even a mm. needless to say it rattled a bit less after i got the new shackles in!

swhite005 said:
Anyone know if replacing the shocks on my 1991 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 will improve the ride? What else, in regards to the suspension, will improve the ride if replaced?

1. a new quality set of tires
2. new shocks
3. new rubber radius arm bushings

If you do the above 3 things you'll get the best possible ride out of your 1st gen truck. Not that it will ride smoothly, mind you...it will still be a rough ride.

You gotta move your hips.

Thanks for all the advice (and comments)!

the front has never been a huge problem for me in terms of 'roughness,' usually nosiey and loose when the bushings get worn.

check how close your rear springs are off the overload springs.... if you got less then an inch in arch it might be time for new springs or re-arching.

new bump stops will definatly help.

Smooth

swhite005 said:
Anyone know if replacing the shocks on my 1991 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 will improve the ride? What else, in regards to the suspension, will improve the ride if replaced? It breaks bones when I go over bumps at moderate speeds!
My 91 X rides a LOT smoother than my 90 YJ Jeep did. I love the ride off road but I run lower tire pressure in my 31's.

etc said:
You gotta move your hips.

hehheh etc. There's some sage advice.

Back