Riding down the freeway

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drive my Mountaineer at whatever the speed limit says, plus 5-10mph depending. They don’t have the most confidence inspiring ride, but aren’t lumbering either.

I mix my driving about 50/50 interstate Vs a “surface streets” route with the mountaineer. With the Kia I favor the interstate.

Drive it as fast as you feel comfortable. If someone doesn’t like it, they’ll survive. I’ve noticed a slower wave of traffic when driving any distance recently, I assume to attempt to save fuel cost.

Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?
drive as fast as you fee comfortable. the other drivers, its their problem if they want they can pass you. not worth rushing if you dont feel comfortable.

Once my vehicles get over 150K miles or so, I tend to "baby" them on the freeways/interstates. Don't know if there is any merit to it, but just seems to me like an aging vehicle shouldn't be pushed as hard. Interesting observation on my road trip last Nov from Phoenix to Mpls...traffic on the open interstates held pretty steady at a leisurely 70 mph (even the semis). And, that was before the major spike in gas prices. It was when you got near the major metro areas and suddenly drivers were hell bent to get wherever they were headed.

These vehicles are KNOWN not to handle like porches at high speeds / turns....if people don't like you driving a safe speed in certain scenarios ....TOO BAD ! !
Better being alive or alive and not maimed for life then being intimidated to drive the way THEY want you to. Also, don't drive with front questionable tires due to funds/ procrastination.... front blowout on freeway not something I want to experience in any vehicle, but these particularly.
rollover.jpg

I’d much rather have a blowout on the front, than on the rear. I had a sidewall completely blow out and go from 35psi to zero in about a second. There was zero panic or danger. I signaled and simply pulled over.

These vehicles are KNOWN not to handle like porches at high speeds / turns....if people don't like you driving a safe speed in certain scenarios ....TOO BAD ! !
Better being alive or alive and not maimed for life then being intimidated to drive the way THEY want you to. Also, don't drive with front questionable tires due to funds/ procrastination.... front blowout on freeway not something I want to experience in any vehicle, but these particularly.
View attachment 434815
Again, all the input appreciated!
Porsches, I assume? Yeah, I read about flipping over, was one of the reasons for the original post. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler Radial M+S, 2018, have kept them at 30 psi. If I can't keep up in the middle lane (commuters seem to pick that one and drive conservatively in it!) I've no problem with staying in the right lane.

For highway / street driving you should try 32-34 psi in those tires 34 psi will save you some $$$ in fuel and tire wear

So, I have to preface this with the following: i don’t like driving fast. I guess after years flying fighter jets, I don’t get any more excitement driving 100mph than I do driving 30, so what’s the rush?

In a 55 zone, I do about 58-60. In a 65 zone, I do 65. I rarely take the truck faster than 65.

It’s easier on the old girl, way way more fuel efficient (drag increases with the square of velocity), and is safer. I just stay in the right lane and no one bothers me—and I’m in NY at the moment. This place is the capitol of asshole drivers.

For highway / street driving you should try 32-34 psi in those tires 34 psi will save you some $$$ in fuel and tire wear
from the chalk test on the stock size toyo extensas found 33 to be right

Again, all the input appreciated!
Porsches, I assume? Yeah, I read about flipping over, was one of the reasons for the original post. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler Radial M+S, 2018, have kept them at 30 psi. If I can't keep up in the middle lane (commuters seem to pick that one and drive conservatively in it!) I've no problem with staying in the right lane.
imo biggest handling upgrade is the EE rear sway so i hear and poly bushings. currently addco and hellwig make em. also if you dont do froading, some have found success with a mild lowerinf of the tbars

theres no reason you should not drive it at highway speeds my 99 spent about 75k of its 120 life art those speeds
most of the rollovers were from bad firestones , not proper tire pressure , a little of people going from low to ground cars to suv and when tire blows they panicked and swung the wheel hard toward shoulder rather than get off gas and gradually turn to shoulder of road i actually witnessed one the skid marks were almost perfect right angle to rt 75 fortunately went into bushes and did not flip\
now your driving a old truck. if its handling poorly you might have shock or suspension worn out, even springs but less so on those modles
check to make sure you have proper size and speed rating tires as well as are they old tires check for cracks and checkering

Porsches, I assume? When going uphill my 4.0 ohv feels like Im driving a PORCH :) ...thanks for the catch,
My other current vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) with the REAR GAS TANK (rear of axle) (think Pinto) ....and yearsss ago I was driving a 1980 GMC half ton with the SIDE GAS TANKS - outside frame rails !
Only was aware of Explorer potential issue at purchase time.

Point taken! It does already drive like a truck, how will the handling change if I go with say 33 psi? Going to check the speed rating also on these 4yo tires. I did get the swaybar links and bushings done already, control arms (lower?) and their ball joints.

Porsches, I assume? When going uphill my 4.0 ohv feels like Im driving a PORCH :) ...thanks for the catch,
My other current vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) with the REAR GAS TANK (rear of axle) (think Pinto) ....and yearsss ago I was driving a 1980 GMC half ton with the SIDE GAS TANKS - outside frame rails !
Only was aware of Explorer potential issue at purchase time.
Hopefully you aren't also hauling dynamite or loose gas cans, LOL. I read about the sidesaddle GM trucks, worst disaster of all of them! I think the most hazard I faced was the last year I had my 96 Taurus, which was so rusted underneath (no sign of it up top) that when it was hauled away after the starter quit, it broke in HALF going up on the flatbed tow truck. Could have happened any time. Sorry to hear that about your Jeep, I was the biggest Mopar fan for a long time!

imo biggest handling upgrade is the EE rear sway so i hear and poly bushings. currently addco and hellwig make em. also if you dont do froading, some have found success with a mild lowerinf of the tbars
Not looking to lower it, ground clearance is great, can snake myself under it! Only off roading planned is at state parks if the roads are bad, or if I get in a ditch, LOL!

theres no reason you should not drive it at highway speeds my 99 spent about 75k of its 120 life art those speeds
most of the rollovers were from bad firestones , not proper tire pressure , a little of people going from low to ground cars to suv and when tire blows they panicked and swung the wheel hard toward shoulder rather than get off gas and gradually turn to shoulder of road i actually witnessed one the skid marks were almost perfect right angle to rt 75 fortunately went into bushes and did not flip\
now your driving a old truck. if its handling poorly you might have shock or suspension worn out, even springs but less so on those modles
check to make sure you have proper size and speed rating tires as well as are they old tires check for cracks and checkering
I'm sure NOT paying attention to the sticker on the truck which says 26 PSI!! Hope anyone who's not familiar with THAT issue, actually does so!

I’ve NEVER felt that I was going to tip or slide on a road that was made for those speeds. But PLEASE, do not for a second let yourself feel unsafe because of concern for other people’s feelings - slow down and don’t worry about it. Have a mechanic check your suspension (sway bars and such) for peace of mind.

Get yourself a new Explorer Sport with the ecoboost engine. It will take you as fast as you want to go and handles very well in the corners. Or you can go for the 400 Hp model. Enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back