Right Flasher flashes rapidly with good bulbs??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right Flasher flashes rapidly with good bulbs???

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Right Directional (flasher) flashes rapidly but all bulbs work ok and I replaced all front/rear turn signal bulbs.

Ford dealer sold me a relay switch flasher but I can't find the damn thing behind the dashboard. The diagram they printed for me shows the "flasher" relay connected to a wiring harness in section "C" of the dashboard which would be directly behind the instrument cluster.

I removed the instrument cluster today but didn't totaly disconnect it because those wire plugs are a P.I.T.A. and I don't want to break them. It looks like the entire dashboard molding has to be removed which would require removing the glove box and passenger dashboard area which I'm not sure how to do yet.

But I think this harness hangs somewhere behind it and is not visible from either behind the instrument cluster or from below under the pedals.

The part number Ford is telling me is the "Flasher" that may be causing the right signal to flash rapidly is Part No. 13350.

they sold me a blue colored relay switch which is square with 5 prongs (connectors).

Is this the possible culprit? I can't believe it's this much work to get to it. Any ideas, drawings, hints on how to get to this thing???

Thanks!!

RB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting,

I actually tried that and also jiggling the turn signal lever forward/backwards and so while left flashing and right and doing so with the leve or the steering column don't affect it.

I just started having this exact same problem, starting yesterday. I've never changed any bulbs. Is that the first place to start?

I just started having this exact same problem, starting yesterday. I've never changed any bulbs. Is that the first place to start?

When I bought this Explorer in October 2011, it already has this flashing problem on the right turn signal. But one at the time the rear right turn signal light was out so I replaced it and it worked fine. But this time both front & rear I replaced and it's still doing the fast flash dance. Stupid design you ask me.

take one bulb out... try the system, make note of any difference (flash times, etc). Take another out, do same. If your system has a third (my 96 has three, two front, one back), repeat. Try additional combinations, replace two (one) and note differences. I suspect you have either a bad bulb or poor grounding. Further measure each bulb's resistance and compare. Check your grounds.

take one bulb out... try the system, make note of any difference (flash times, etc). Take another out, do same. If your system has a third (my 96 has three, two front, one back), repeat. Try additional combinations, replace two (one) and note differences. I suspect you have either a bad bulb or poor grounding. Further measure each bulb's resistance and compare. Check your grounds.

I'll give that a shot. I'm more of a wrench than an electrician. Can you give me directions on how to check the ground with an ohm meter?

Cheers,

Back