• Register Today It's free!

Right front door rattle

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I'm getting a light metallic tapping sound when going over some bumps (yes some, but not all, and it's more common on washboard road type bumps than bigger ones), that seems to be coming from the front passenger door. I pulled the panel, and I can't find anything loose.

Pounding on the door with the panel off only produced rattle from the clips that the bolts thread into, which should not be able to rattle when the bolts are tight.

The only thing left is the cables on the window regulator. It happens regardless of window position, I think, though it would be difficult to tell with the window down, due to wind noise.

Since I can't find anything in the door, I suppose it's possible that it's in the A or B pillar, and only sounds like it's coming from the door. I had a rattle in the '13 that sounded like it was coming from the passenger seat, but was actually the center console.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked to see if it may possibly be the passenger seat belt?

Peter

Have you checked to see if it may possibly be the passenger seat belt?

Peter

I haven't, but I don't know how it could be making that noise.

I haven't, but I don't know how it could be making that noise.
Sometimes it can get tangled and the male end could end up hitting the 'B' pillar. Just a thought.

Peter

Sometimes it can get tangled and the male end could end up hitting the 'B' pillar. Just a thought.

Peter

Gotcha. No, this is definitely a metal on metal tapping.

Have someone ride with you and see if they hear it.
Metallic tapping at door near handles could be window motor loose or mounted wrong and it taps when the car shakes.
Lot of 2011-2015's have had front window motors replaced per TSB for shuddering or jumping windows when they are opened/closed.
-after this was done, the tapping noise was a symptom that was reported on here due to bad mounting of motor or incorrect assembly of door panel.

Sort of related, my right front door also started a little rattle. I pounded a bit on the door today, found that i was getting a reverberation from the plastic on the bottom half of the door. I stuck a little foam tape in between the plastic and the frame. So far, OK, but we'll see after a couple of days. It was very temperature dependent, seeming to go away when the window came down a bit, too. (?!)

I also had to adjust the sunroof for the 90th time, so it was a "chase a squeak and rattle" kind of day for the 2017. I'm so scared that sucker's going to break on me one of these days even though I'm careful to keep it as close to spec as possible.

Back