Right headlamp high beam sticks in on position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right headlamp high beam sticks in on position

matrafact

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
We have a 2013 Explorer with a headlamp high beam that sticks in the on position. Strangely enough, this only happens in cold weather. The dealership wants $900+ to repair it, but I thought I try this forum first. I've searched the web for help without success. Hopefully someone here has experienced, or heard of this phenomenon. Thanks in advance for any information!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 2013 Explorer with a headlamp high beam that sticks in the on position. Strangely enough, this only happens in cold weather. The dealership wants $900+ to repair it, but I thought I try this forum first. I've searched the web for help without success. Hopefully someone here has experienced, or heard of this phenomenon. Thanks in advance for any information!

Do you have a limited with the 302A package (which would mean you have HID lights)?

Either way it sounds like the cutoff shield is sticking. You can hear the solenoid in the headlight click when you turn the highs on and off. To verify its the headlight I would wait for it to stick and then unplug the headlight connector to see if you hear the cutoff shield click back into low beam position. It it does its the car, if it stays its the headlight.

These headlight projectors are very close to the EVOX-R aftermarket projector from morimoto. For 900 you could find a good shop to open both headlights, install the new projector, new ballast and hid bulbs, and wire it up. Actually it would probably cost around 500 dollars to do so.

Then you would have upgraded headlights.

It's either open up and fix the jamming solenoid (or retrofit HIDs) or replace the whole headlamp.

Do you have a limited with the 302A package (which would mean you have HID lights)?

Either way it sounds like the cutoff shield is sticking. You can hear the solenoid in the headlight click when you turn the highs on and off. To verify its the headlight I would wait for it to stick and then unplug the headlight connector to see if you hear the cutoff shield click back into low beam position. It it does its the car, if it stays its the headlight.

These headlight projectors are very close to the EVOX-R aftermarket projector from morimoto. For 900 you could find a good shop to open both headlights, install the new projector, new ballast and hid bulbs, and wire it up. Actually it would probably cost around 500 dollars to do so.

Then you would have upgraded headlights.

It's either open up and fix the jamming solenoid (or retrofit HIDs) or replace the whole headlamp.

I couldn't agree more! I also have a 2013 Limited and did not have the OP's issue. I did have my headlights opened and retrofitted and I can attest to significantly better lighting probably 1000% better visibility, a lot more classy look. In the 1yr or so that I've had it done ive have only been flashed once by a 370Z (figures why)

Its not cheap - cost me about 1200 but you pay for someone's expertise.

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
As indicated by a question a member already posted, it would be very helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) of your Ex to your profile so it always shows in the margin. Also it is highly likely that the shutter is stuck in the high beam (retracted) position. There is only a single bulb in each headlight.

Peter

If you're handy. All you have to do is buy a new headlight assembly and switch it yourself by taking off the bumper. I did it and I'm a 21 year old college kid who doesn't know what he's doing lol. I should just make a tutorial on how to take off the bumper. It's really simple with a ratchet set.

If you're handy. All you have to do is buy a new headlight assembly and switch it yourself by taking off the bumper. I did it and I'm a 21 year old college kid who doesn't know what he's doing lol. I should just make a tutorial on how to take off the bumper. It's really simple with a ratchet set.

Ive been trying to find that info 1995E. Do share.

Actually if you're REALLY handy you can possibly do a free fix.

Pull the dust boot, remove the bulb from the back and see if you can use a long screw driver or hook to knock the cut off shield back into the low beam position. Being careful not to scratch the lens or metalized coating on the bowl.

This picture shows it in the pushed down high beam position.

DSCN0741_zps0c5fec91.jpg

Is that the correct orientation? I always pictured the shutter as being on the top. Thanks for that photo.:thumbsup:

Peter

Remember that the lens flips the image. So the blacked out area is on top because the shield is on the bottom.

hid_projector.jpg

bump on this. Having this issue with my 2013 XLT just purchased 2 weeks ago. Only option is to try and carefully knock the cut off shield back into the low beam position, or replace the entire head lights? 24k miles on it, just bought it 2 weeks ago. It is Ford Certified but magically this is not covered. Dealership wants $1200 for stock replacements.

bump on this. Having this issue with my 2013 XLT just purchased 2 weeks ago. Only option is to try and carefully knock the cut off shield back into the low beam position, or replace the entire head lights? 24k miles on it, just bought it 2 weeks ago. It is Ford Certified but magically this is not covered. Dealership wants $1200 for stock replacements.

ReplacementS?

Both headlights doing this? Stuck in high beam position?

ReplacementS?

Both headlights doing this? Stuck in high beam position?

At first it was just the driver side. Then I took it in and they were nice and adjusted them for free. I checked later that night when it was dark, and now both are stuck. Driver side is fully stuck and passenger side is intermittent.

My driver side shutter appears to be stuck as well, if I replace with a after market hid system will this resolve my issue or do they rely on the shutter to change between high and low beams as well?

My driver side shutter appears to be stuck as well, if I replace with a after market hid system will this resolve my issue or do they rely on the shutter to change between high and low beams as well?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not familiar with the aftermarket HID kits but I know that the 2011 Limited I had came with OEM HID lights and they did have a shutter. So I'm guessing that the aftermarket ones probably use the existing shutters. I'm sure someone more familiar with the setup will be able to confirm if that is so or not.

Peter

Back