• Register Today It's free!

Right Rear Window Squeal

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My right rear window recently started squealing when going up or down. It's much worse when wet.

The tech at the dealer wanted to replace the moulding, but the shop foreman thought that lubing it would be enough, and that replacing the moulding wouldn't help. It's better, but still squeals.

I've also noticed that the window seems tighter; I use door panel covers because of my dogs, and they attach with three thin plastic tabs that go between the glass and the moulding on the inside. That one is much more difficult to install now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any adjustment, inside to outside, for the window?

Congrats on finding a brand new issue Jon.;):(

Well, I finally found the cause. Turns out the tech was right, the weatherstrip needs to be replaced. There's a three or four inch section of the weatherstrip on the inside, the one at the top of the door panel, that had folded under, and was dragging on the window. I took it off after taking the door panel off to try to figure out the issue, because that weatherstrip was so dirty, and I figured it would be easier to clean.

I put a heat gun on it, just enough to be able to fold it back up, but it's all stretched out and wrinkled, so it's going to have to be replaced after all. In the meantime, at least the noise has stopped.

Back