Right turn signal lihts up when brake pedal is pressed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right turn signal lihts up when brake pedal is pressed

nelson2001

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLS
I have a 2001 Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC 4.0, on occasion when I am driving and press the brake pedal, the right turn signal lights up, once I turn the left turn signal on, the problem goes away. How do I fix this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your grounds at the rear light area. Typical symptom of a bad ground.

Bill

Have you replaced the bulb? The filament is probably touching each other inside the bulb.

that the issue goes away when the opposite TS is activated seems to indicate that it is not the bulb or the ground.

For our sanity, I'm assuming you have the 3-bulb (TS, B, BU) instead of the 2-bulb (TS/B, BU) tail lamp? Also, I"m assuming it comes on constantly, rather than blinking?

From reading some of the other threads, it could be your turn signal switch.
What happens if you turn on the hazard flashers to correct instead of using the opposing TS?

No, turning on the hazard flashers does not correct the problem. I've got use to the right turn signal when I apply the brake, once or twice a month, even when the truck is in park position. Simply turn the right turn signal and the problem subsides.

Back