Rim Covers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rim Covers

RBRoAB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
Okay so I have an 04 Sport Trac that I have slowly been customizing. Nothing heavy duty, pretty simple stuff. I added some chrome door handle covers, chrome grille cover, and a chrome wind guard.

I just got some black and chrome nerf bars. I'm sure I could have just gotten one of the newer Sport Tracs that already have the nice finish, but oh well.

So I have this vehicle and all the old grey and silver has been replaced with nice shiny chrome. The only thing left is rims. As I don't feel like dropping a couple hundred from new rims, does anyone have an idea about rim covers?

I have seen a few online. I'm just trying to find some that are chrome, obviously, and that will simply install over the factory rims. Is this even a thing, or am I crazy? Any help would be great, and I could put up a picture or two of my ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chrome-spray-paint-400ml-aerosol_673148_250.jpg

J/k - I wouldn't spray paint the rims..

Then again, I wouldn't get chrome rim covers either.. (if they exist?)

I'd say either powdercoat the factories a slate color to make your chrome stand out, or go with a cheaper set of chrome wheels (which would still be ~400)

I agree with luke. They do make powder coat for wheels but covers would look really cheap and don't hide the real wheels.

you get what you pay for. its like putting chrome hub caps on steel wheels if the person buying the 20 hubcaps saved 20 a week he could afford a nice new set of chrome rims in 4-6 months. i have ambitions for my truck i still want the body lift and push 34-35in tires but money plays into it alot. do yourself a good one buddy save up and do it right go rims.

sorry that i might sound mean and rude but i want whats best for you and your ride.

Sorry I am not better informed on the subject haha.

I just need ideas on how to make my wheels chrome or at least look extremely shiny.

I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, so an entire new set of rims isn't the option for me. So any ideas are appreciated, and thank you to those who responded.

I don't have a problem with the rims or hubcaps or whatever they are (like I said, I'm terribly informed), I'd just really like them to match the rest of my rig.

In that case - you may consider looking on craigslist for a set of wheels that would work. For instance - you'd want one that is " 5x4.5 " - Start by perusing your local craigslist with that search string (5x4.5), and see if you come up with anything you like.

You can always post your findings here (in this thread, probably) and we can do our best to let you know if they'll work for you.

I just did a quick local craigslist search , by searching for '5x4.5' and price range 1-350 , with pictures - here's the results:

http://tinyurl.com/7bzulfg

plenty to choose from

These are for sale on local craigs list for $40 if that helps

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/3034560624.html

Those would work but the center hubcap would still show and so you would have the silver ring around the dark gray circle with the ford emblem in the middle showing through. And sticking out like a sore thumb IMO.

Also hubcaps are the covers over the bolts that you have to pop off to take the wheels off.

Google search "CCI IWCIMP/41X Impostor Wheel Cover - Chrome, Plastic, Spoke"

Yay or nay?

These ones?

IWCIMP-41X.png

or these?

IWCIMP-67X.png

Either or, doesn't matter. As long as they fit the vehicle. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on them and how they'd work.

Someone at work had one of those wheelskins on the 5-spoke Taurus rims from like 2001-2003ish and they actually looked really, really good. You couldn't tell that they were covers unless you looked really closely.

Had THESE if they're similar to the ones you're looking at... I wouldn't be against them, and they seemed to last quite well. Had them on for about 2 years until they sold the car.

I'd say the first ones are better looking and closer to the stock wheels. I still don't really like covers but if there's good reviews you could be good with them then.

Alright, I ordered them. Should be here within a week or so.

I'll put them on, hopefully take pictures, and let you know how they work.

Back