Rim size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rim size?

Hello, I would like to know the backspacing, and correct bolt pattern for a 97 ford explorer awd, the rim size is 16x7 I know I can pull the tire off and check it myself but this is much easier if someone knows it off hand, and also would a .5 inch difference of backspacing make a big difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could also search and find it on here, but the backspacing is 4.5" I imagine .5" would change it about 1/2 an inch. You would want to go for less (as in 4") if you were going to go either way. The other way would cause problems.

Thats what I thought it was, right now I have 245/75/16 mud tires and wanted to move them out a little say to like 4" of backspacing, would that look weird with that skinny of tire.

Wheel bearings is probably all. It will wear them out faster but again the 1/2" won't be that big of deal. A lot of guys are running 3.25 and 3.75 backspacing and off-roading a lot and they don't wear out that fast. Just keep them tight and you'll be good.

Maybe one of you guys could answer this.... I have a 97EB with 16 inch rims, and I want to pick up a set of mickey thompson 15" wheels. Would this create a problem? Thanks in advance.

-Dan

Back