• Register Today It's free!

Ring & pinion or wheel bearing

Titleistman

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '04 XLT
I have a 2004 Explorer XLT. I replaced the front wheel bearings a few months ago and I noticed a grinding noise in the rear end recently. It is most noticeable when moving slowly and it has the cyclic sound as the axle turns. I have noticed posts about wheel bearings (grinding, like metal on metal) and ring & pinion (humming). It doesn't sound like a hum, but more like a grinding as if the brakes were worn past the pads. I replaced the brakes and rotors about 6 months ago and I know this is not an issue. I am thinking it is the rear wheel bearings and I plan on replacing the bearings this weekend. I just want to make sure I am diagnosing properly. Sound right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ring & pinion or wheel bearing - update 5-4-10

I broke down and went to the dealership. I got a call saying the ring and pinion are the culprit. It's going to be $1,100. I hope this is the cure. At least I saved a bunch of money doing all the bearings, brakes, rotors and what not myself. I should get the vehicle back on Thursday and I will post if this is the cure.

ya keep us updated.

update 5-5-10

Dealer busted the case on the differential somehow and now they are going to give me a new one for the same price as the original fix. Wwweeeeee!!!

Nice! I'd say you got your moneys worth now!

Dealer busted the case on the differential somehow and now they are going to give me a new one for the same price as the original fix. Wwweeeeee!!!

to get the carrier out of the case you have to use a case spreader. spread it too much and.....cracckkk

split differential case

You got it. I went out back at the dealer to get my golf clubs and spoke with the mechanic. In the process of spreading the case it cracked....I can see this happening for sure with aluminum if one is not careful and probably even when being careful. Ford is going to replace all the bearings and put it back together.

For the record the passenger side outside bearing on the differential was going and creating the rotational sound. It wasn't the typical ring and pinion hum in an acceleration or deceleration. This would explain why I was confused with the hearing a roatational woo, woo, woo and not the hum as has been described often on the forums.

I will post back after I get the vehicle back. I am expecting a nice quiet ride tomorrow afternoon.

update 5/6/10

Now we are having fun! I just got a call from the dealer and the bearing doesn't want to go in to the new pumpkin. It's going to be another set of bearings and another day before I get it back. Weeee!!

Just wondering were you getting a clunk just before you came to a stop that almost wanted to push the truck foward sort of before you got your bearings and ring and pinion fixed? I'm getting this problem and i have no clue what it is

update 5-9-10

I got my Explorer back yesterday and everything is quiet again. It was nice to get a 2,000 dollar job for 1,110 compliments of Ford. It is completely rebuilt with new pumpkin and all.

Just wondering were you getting a clunk just before you came to a stop that almost wanted to push the truck foward sort of before you got your bearings and ring and pinion fixed? I'm getting this problem and i have no clue what it is

Nope. I just had a rotational, woo, woo, woo coming from the right passenger side. Your sounds almost like the axle going in and out of the rear differential. I think this can happen when the gears get torn up. Does it whine when decelerating? The only other time I hear a clunk is when the transmission went at 51,000 and this was just putting it in gear. If I get my engine to fail the entire truck will have been replaced at one time or another.

Nope. I just had a rotational, woo, woo, woo coming from the right passenger side. Your sounds almost like the axle going in and out of the rear differential. I think this can happen when the gears get torn up. Does it whine when decelerating? The only other time I hear a clunk is when the transmission went at 51,000 and this was just putting it in gear. If I get my engine to fail the entire truck will have been replaced at one time or another.

nope I dont notice any whine when i decelerate but i do hear a hum around 55-60 mph on the highway but i think its just the wheel bearing because i know the one in the rear drivers side is on its way out

to get the carrier out of the case you have to use a case spreader. spread it too much and.....cracckkk

You don't need a case spreader for the 8.8...that's for larger Dana diffs.

nope I dont notice any whine when i decelerate but i do hear a hum around 55-60 mph on the highway but i think its just the wheel bearing because i know the one in the rear drivers side is on its way out

Hmmm. I could hear my wheel bearings at 30-40 on a nice sweeping curve. I didn't notice them hardly at all on the highway. If you are not noticing a louder noise on a sweeping curve and in your case a right sweeper I am going to gues this is not the wheel bearing. I thought the same thing on mine....your hum is sounding more like the rear diff in my opinion.

Back