Ring & Pinion swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ring & Pinion swap

bilchap

Reaction score
City, State
south mountians of NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am swaping 3.27 gears for 4.56 gears.Does anybody know what purpose the thick steel plate between the pinion bearing and gear on a 92 ex with the dana 35 rev gear serve.If I have to use it in the swap,it looks like it will be destroyed when the bearing is removed.If the has no great purpose I can just leave it on and not mess with it at all.Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is alot bigger than the pinion gear.I am pretty sure its not a shim,but it does make the pinion gear alot closer to the ring gear.If it is an oil slinger.Do you absolutely have to have it.I mean,the rear doesn't have one.

The front diff pinion bearings aren't as deeply submerged in the gear oil as a rear diff's normally is, so it has the slinger to help draw more oil through the bearings. They come in different thicknesses (it is a shim), although I see many installation kits that fail to include them for some strange reason. Shims from a D30 (they seem to be more common) can be used if you find the original one is too thick (you can straighten it out if you don't let it get too mangled when pulling the bearing).

The front diff pinion bearings aren't as deeply submerged in the gear oil as a rear diff's normally is, so it has the slinger to help draw more oil through the bearings. They come in different thicknesses (it is a shim), although I see many installation kits that fail to include them for some strange reason. Shims from a D30 (they seem to be more common) can be used if you find the original one is too thick (you can straighten it out if you don't let it get too mangled when pulling the bearing).
The "slinger" is a little confusing though.

In a rear axle, the ring gear is the "slinger" throwing oil towards the cavity directly over the pinion gear - after which the oil then drips down into area where the pinion bearings reside. The "slinger" in the rear axle is more like a "retainer" slowing down the rate at which oil returns into the main cavity in the axle's housing.

However, on a front axle, the rotation is reverse and the ring gear tries slings oil from the bottom. So I dont understand why the slinger is there since oil is never really slung onto the pinion gear's bearings. Maybe the oil is slung vertically, splashes against the "roof", and eventually drips down into the pinion bearing area.

The "slinger" is a little confusing though.

In a rear axle, the ring gear is the "slinger" throwing oil towards the cavity directly over the pinion gear - after which the oil then drips down into area where the pinion bearings reside. The "slinger" in the rear axle is more like a "retainer" slowing down the rate at which oil returns into the main cavity in the axle's housing.

However, on a front axle, the rotation is reverse and the ring gear tries slings oil from the bottom. So I dont understand why the slinger is there since oil is never really slung onto the pinion gear's bearings. Maybe the oil is slung vertically, splashes against the "roof", and eventually drips down into the pinion bearing area.

I don't think I've ever seen a slinger in a rear axle, only in front axles.
I'm sure it has either something to do with the hi-pinion design of the gears putting the bearings basically up out of the gear oil bath, or is there because of the opposite direction the gears rotate in the housing relative to a rear axle (maybe it slinging the oil out from around the bearing via centrifugal force promotes more oil flow through the passageway into the pinion bearing cavity? I couldn't say for sure though).

There is a hole behind the plate in the housing that go's thru to the front bearing.I guess it runs threw that hole.Anyway I think I can get a machine shop to make me one thinner,I did destroy it remowing the bearing.Thanks for all the help.Any more ideas,keep them coming.

Back