Ringing noise after the vehicle is turned off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ringing noise after the vehicle is turned off

Dankrull84

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
My wife's 2011 Explorer XLT has periodically had a ringing noise come from under the hood. Last night it started again and lasted for several hours, when I left for work in the morning it had stopped. How ever my wife went to leave and the battery was dead. This battery is new from the dealer 6 months ago. They installed this battery after our vehicle was getting serviced and the battery died over night. Most likely from this same ringing. Is anyone else having an issue similar to this? I don't know how to replicate the issue so the service department can hear it, as it only happens periodically.

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife's 2011 Explorer XLT has periodically had a ringing noise come from under the hood. Last night it started again and lasted for several hours, when I left for work in the morning it had stopped. How ever my wife went to leave and the battery was dead. This battery is new from the dealer 6 months ago. They installed this battery after our vehicle was getting serviced and the battery died over night. Most likely from this same ringing. Is anyone else having an issue similar to this? I don't know how to replicate the issue so the service department can hear it, as it only happens periodically.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum, Dankrull84. How many miles are on your wife's Explorer? Have you replaced the battery or are you still unable to start it? If you need to have it towed, you can contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673. I'll hang around this thread in case you need additional help.

Crystal

Crystal
She has 39,455 on her explorer. The battery was replaced in January. I was able to jump it. As wierd as it sound I got in her car tonight to check the milage and it was not making the noise, but as soon as I pressed the brake pedal, with out the keys in the ignition, it began making the same ringing noise.

Ignition off drain. I would suggest taking it to the dealership. We have seen where a short can cause the PCM to stay awake and that can cause noises of sorts in the engine bay. Does the battery drain down every night? Or after it has sit for a couple days. Or is it intermittent? Not to sure of if its covered under powertrain for that issue maybe crystal can check that out. It isn't unusual to see rodent damage cause a short to power. Which of course will not be covered. But if you have some simple tools and a light tester with a non led bulb do a battery draw test. The instructions of which are on google when you google battery draw test. If the light illuminates then you have a draw. But again I would suggest taking it to the dealership due to the vast amount of systems that will need to be checked. Even if they can't duplicate the concerns of the noise. In which I would say 1 in 5 I can duplicate. But the battery drain is a issue and can eventually cause damage to other systems if not repaired, such as a wrench light on at start up from a jump where not all systems had threshold voltage.

Crystal
She has 39,455 on her explorer. The battery was replaced in January. I was able to jump it. As wierd as it sound I got in her car tonight to check the milage and it was not making the noise, but as soon as I pressed the brake pedal, with out the keys in the ignition, it began making the same ringing noise.

It sounds like it's time to make an appointment at your dealership, Dankrull84. Once you've received a diagnosis, come back and share your results. I'll be able to look into ways to assist after your visit.

Crystal

Back