RIP - Jakee's remote mounted turbo explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RIP - Jakee's remote mounted turbo explorer sport

(still alive) - Jakee's remote mounted turbo explorer sport

It's technically not dead...yet. But I'm giving the turbo explorer to my oldest son. We've turned the boost down to 10lbs and I've done a lot of work to get this thing as street friendly as possible. Anyone with a 19 year old son will understand why I put RIP in the title. LOL

EDIT - Son is going another direction, truck is fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hahaha. 10 lbs boost should still be pretty fast.
Here's hoping the truck lasts for a while

We're going down to 6 to 8 lbs. I will also set the speed limiter back to stock, if not lower. I'm teaching him how to drive the truck and what not to do. Hopefully he'll enjoy this and take care of it. I'll get some pictures up of the truck and how it looks right now. We've done a lot of work on the truck since I've last posted here.

Son gonna continue on?

I cannot get the boost under 10 LBS, period. I've taken off the boost controller and relying on the waste gate alone (which I thought had a 6 lb spring). So what's up with that? Did the 4" exhaust and open waste gate vent pipe do this?

IMG_20120922_075957.jpg

IMG_20120922_080012.jpg

IMG_20120922_080032.jpg

IMG_20120922_080043.jpg

IMG_20120922_080059.jpg

IMG_20120922_080126.jpg

IMG_20120922_080147.jpg

IMG_20120922_080216.jpg

IMG_20120922_080234.jpg

IMG_20120922_080243.jpg

IMG_20120922_080251.jpg

IMG_20120922_080309.jpg

IMG_20120922_080322.jpg

IMG_20120922_080330.jpg

IMG_20120922_080340.jpg

IMG_20120922_080552.jpg

That's a great looking truck with a turbo install that looks factory. Your son must be pretty excited. I'm jealous! I think my next truck ill do an sts turbo. It sounds like I'd make way more power.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if I fed my M90 with a STS turbo?

There will be no replacement, I'm done for now. :)

Thanks. My goal was to make it look like it came from the factory that way. I redid a lot of this several times to get it just right.

My son is happy to have a vehicle. However, he didn't put all the work into this so he will probably take it all for granted. Oh well, live and learn!

Where's your air filter located? I looked at your build thread, but the pics are missing.

I hope your son appreciates the time and energy that went in to the truck. My kids are afraid to drive mine, and its no where near as nice as yours. Once they can afford insurance and gas, I'm hopong to give it to one of them. Then I get to buy a newer ex and go STS!

That's a great looking Explorer Jakee, you have a VERY lucky son. I hope he will join us in the forums:chug:

Thanks Rick.

Dono - The filter is on the passengers side behind the front wheel. I'll see if I can get you a pic of that but it's a very bad spot to have a filter when it rains. I will move and relocate this under the hood very soon. Having a long pipe (more than 3') is not the best for performance but I think the alternative of having water in the turbo is less desirable.

Oh, and last night my son decided to be irresponsible. Looks like the truck will stay with me for now. :)

Sorry about your son. We all need to learn, and it sounds like your more than willing to help him. Great job on parrenting.

I was wondering about the filter, as it must get pretty tough routing 2 3 inch pipes up to the engine bay.

Yes, very tight space to clear the wheel area. Gonna take some creativity.

This truck has seen maybe 10 miles in the past 2 years so It hasn't been a big deal with where the filter is currently located. But since I've started making this street friendly I'll have to bite the bullet and do it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and last night my son decided to be irresponsible. Looks like the truck will stay with me for now. :)

Well, that's a relief! There aren't too many nicely done, high power Explorers around. Rather then crippling this fine beast, only to hand it to a kid who will most likely trash it; why not sell it to someone who will appreciate it and use/maintain it like it was meant for? Then, use the cash to get your son something a little more "new driver" friendly, like a used 4cyl beater.

Yes, I know it's your truck, but what kind of Explorer "enthusiast" would I, or any of us, be if we didn't have at least a little vested interest in seeing this thing live to fight another day?

Back