• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Road bike for a tall guy?

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I am thinking of getting a road bike... I have a mountain bike which is actually fairly nice but not all that comfortable and I don't really use it for mountain biking... I'm thinking of getting more into biking as I'm exploring a lot of different fitness options...
The only complication is, I'm tall and most bikes just aren't made for guys like me. when I bought my mountain bike, it was from like one bike shop in all of colorado that had a frame this big, and they only had one of them on hand... I'd imagine road bike will be equally challenging. Anyone else of reasonable height faced a similiar challenge? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I did a google search a while back and came up with Zinn Cycles who builds some bikes special for tall people, but their bikes start around $4500 and go up from there, and I was looking for more of an "entry level" model, but may not have much options there.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Gary Fisher used to make bikes that were more suited towards taller people. I remember riding my buddies bike and it was far better for my size (6'1).

Right now I run a Cannondale road bike and the frame layout is quite good for taller people. I have an RS-300

AspenX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX Aspen,Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
JDRAPER, Matt is 6'8" thats a whole different animal.

Matt, I don't see how you can avoid going custom at your size. You might could get comfortable on a XXL mountain bike with a long tall stem, but thats a maybe. There are hundreds of custom frame builders in lots of price ranges. That $4,500 would get you a nice Titanium frame from some less expensive builders, and couldn't even get a steel or aluminum frame from some high end guys. Let me talk to some of my local bike pros and see what I can find out. I also have 2 riding buddies that are 6'6". One of them has several custom Soulcraft bikes, both road and mtb, but they aren't cheap. The other has a Specialized road bike, but I think he kind of maxes out there size range.

My best guess is you might can get a custom frame built for $1k but that will be a frame only with no parts and they dont come cheap but in all price ranges. example The build kit on my mtb is about $3,500 for gears, drivetrain, brakes ect. Then add carbon bars, seatpost and a $900 set of wheels, and you get the idea. Buy a $5-600 road bike and move the parts over to your custom frame and ebay the frame they came on. They wont be high quality parts but they will work and you can upgrade them later.
Steel rides much, much more comfortable than aluminum so you know. Good luck, I'll be asking around for you.

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
yeah I kinda feared that might be the case... can't afford a $4000+ bike right now so might just have to keep going on the exercise recumbent bike and the mountain bike...
I got a laugh because one of the websites that was talking about bikes for tall people and one of the comments said something like "bike is comfortable for those upwards of 6 feet tall" like "uhh... that isn't all that all... LOL"

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
there is a new trend of bikes called 29ers. these are bikes with 29" wheels instead of the traditional 26" wheels. you can find one with a 22" and up seat post. that might work for you.