Road Feel through steering wheel?

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2014 Sport with 45k. Stock Hankook Optimo's installed on factory rims.

I just took my snow tires off (were on a dedicated set of rimes) and put the stock han-craps back on. They have even wear and were just balanced. Roadforce figures were 6 and 7lbs in the front and 9 and 10lbs in the rear. Those are terrific figures! The shops machine was just calibrated and the balance job went well. Hit the road and notice there is no shaking at highway speeds, at least up to 80mph - did not go past that. It was very smooth.

What I do notice is an odd buzz/resonance in the steering wheel above 50-ish mph. It's almost like I'm feeling the granular road surface being transmitted back up through the steering wheel. It's not the pulsating/wobble you would feel from an out of balance tire. Hard to explain, but think about a kids toy that you turn on it and vibrates fast. Put that in your hand and that's sort of what it feels like.

I think I got used to the soft, dull, feel of the snow tires. But, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a bit of feedback through the steering wheel? I almost feel like I feel every pebble in the road.

Thanks,
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long has it been since the last rotation on the Hankooks, before you put them back on?

Wonder if you have some slight directional wear and you put them back on in the opposite direction this time. If so the sound/vibration should subside within a few weeks of driving.

I have no idea, honestly. It's a good theory, though. I did go check - ran my hand front front to back and back to front on all the tires. They feel smooth. The very outside edge of all the tires has some very, very minor saw tooth wear, but it is so minor I had to search for it with my hand.

I'm going to put 500 miles on it on the highway over the next two days, so we'll see what develops. I really am not a fan of the Hankooks (hyrdroplane in water and have terrible traction in the rain), so the time for them to wear out can't come quick enough for me! ;)

Shumax

The Noble 2 Ventus Hankook tires on the 16 Sport. Hankook seems to have corrected most of its mistakes.

Another theory might be that Ford is trying to allow some feedback to come through the steering wheel. Seems like every time I watch a review on Ford vehicle they get dinged for no steering wheel feed back. Not sure if that is what you are talking about. I can feel most everything on my 16 EXP as far as the road and that is tough considering the condition of Indiana roads.

Back