• Register Today It's free!

Road race my 96 xlt

Reverend Greg

Reaction score
City, State
McDonough,Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
If this is in the wrong section, would a mod please move it.
Ok, so I'm in a sports car club that has track days 5-6 times a year.
In lieu of the 1996 Mazda miata im assembling, i want to track my 1996 4.0 four door.
I know it makes no good sense.
I know it may roll.
I know it weighs 2 tons.
But it would be a blast, apexing 4 cylinder cars in a lowered, suspension modified"earth destroyer"!
1. Can anyone think of a reason that it wouldn't be allowed to track.
2. Other than the poly and nylon bushings I already have installed, what would be the next logical step on prepping the suspension?
And 3. The plan calls for 265/50-16 tires on 10" wide rims...is this too much or not enough tire?
Thanks
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id be trying to get it as low as possible.
Im of no help on this, but other members have had experience.

I think the front is easy, as you take preload off the torsion bars.
The back, maybe you can flip the rear axle so its on top of the leaf springs?

It already is.going to change to 3" blocks and do a key flip.
Greg

I'd think your right on track. Lower, more rubber to the road, and stiffen up the anti-sway bars.

You could look at thicker anti-sway bars also. I 'think' on your 96 Ex, both front and rear could be upgraded.

It would stand to reason that the sways on a v-8 are heavier. Is there any bearing to this or should I look into buying sways? Now remember I plan on giving this truck to my boy next year, so not wanting to spend too much on it.
Greg

Check with your local club first, I couldn't race my explorer.

Then, poly bushings. Explorer express sway bars. Stiff shocks, or coil overs that you can play with the valving. Lowering block with stiffer leaf springs, or 4 link. Get to cutting weight, several threads on here for ideas. If you don't have the 4:10 limited slip rear end, find one.

Then motor and transmission mods :)

98 is after all of that foolishness with the tires.
So ford added heavier sways? I already have poly sway bar mounts and end links up front. And nylon end links in back. I guess i have ton of work...
All of my car club friends here in the atlanta area assure me that i should be legal to auto cross at least a few times. The thing im reall going for is a track day. A good friend of mine runs Jzilla track days and they get to race at Atlanta motor speedway, Atlanta motorsports park, and Road Atlanta.
Actually its my gullibility that set me on this path. I saw a few pictures from one teack day and it had trucks in it. They were goung to rescue a dumb kid who hit a wall, but i saw...Racing!
Greg

With a key flip you'll want more than a 3 inch block. I'm on a 3.5 with no air in my shocks, and the rear sits higher.

Also. shorter end links, I learned the hard way. They'll last a while, then they'll snap.

If you're 4wd a set of street coilovers may not fit. I can't find a small enough style to clear my CV shaft. A traction bar/anti-wrap bar is also a good idea with that big of a block. I'd recommend a V8 rear end+leafs since they could have came with traction bars, but they're welded on, so i'm not sure about lowering it that way.

Proper shocks. Nitro Slammers are pretty good. I spent 116 in total. It took awhile to get them, but for being custom made, i guess i can't complain.

When i was sitting at a 2 inch drop i got told i was too top heavy, but my trucks been half-ass broken or i haven't had the time to attempt to auto-x it again.

I autocrossed my 85 S-10 Blazer 2wd. Even before it was lowered. I had a ball. even thou I came in last in every race. I did place second in points for the year.

Tim

Back