Road Side brake fix (sorta)to get home | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Road Side brake fix (sorta)to get home

timn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Oshawa Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie
Well I thought i would share my misfortune with yous. Kinda my fault. Im driving my old girl to the ground. had her for 12 years. I knew the brakes needed to be done but i tool one last trip up to the cottage. on the way home i heard it grinding when i braked so i limped it as much as i could through lights until a seen a cop so i had to do a full stop, felt a large jerk and then had no brakes. pumped the peddle untill it got hard again. and then was able to stop. pulled off to the side when i found out that the inner rotor was so worn that when the inner pad wore it had enough room to slip out of the caliper and the piston went up against the rotor.
the only thing i figured i could do beside call a tow truck and pay big bucks was to mend it some how. lucly i had a 2x4 block in the back. I jammed it in the caliper and tied it off to the side of the frame so i could have some turning room for the tire. here are a couple pics for laughs

rotor11.jpg

rotor13.jpg

rotor15.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fixed your pic links for you. That's pretty creative thinking, too bad you didn't just change pads before you wore out the rotors.

Just a thought, there was so many nice clunker explrorers at the junkyard, you could probably get all those parts for $30-40 bucks instead of closer to $150-200 at the auto parts store.

very much so, Ive racked over 150,000 k on those rotors so nothing lost except the time messing with it. I knew they had to be replaced with new ones. just figured i could get another month out of em. I have another explorer so i want to retire this one before i put any cash into it.

Just a thought, there was so many nice clunker explrorers at the junkyard, you could probably get all those parts for $30-40 bucks instead of closer to $150-200 at the auto parts store.

Never put used brake components on your vehicle!

Rotors for my 4wd 98 were $16 bucks each. A set of pads was about 35. It's under $100 to put all new brakes up front.

gee thats pretty cheap, in my area they run 90.00 a rotor and pads are around 30 bucks. Id never purchase worn brakes, i look for a truck where it was wrecked, most times they are like brand new. I measure for wear with my micrometer if they dont have much wear ill pic em up and have them turned at my buddies shop then toss on some new pads. this truck is getting soft and it had done me well. im not willing to put another 100 bucks into it since the rockers have let go under the running boards. is an Eddie.,

Back