• Register Today It's free!

Road trip! Few quick questions..

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
OK so it looks like we are going to have a full house when we go to OBX late Aug/early sept. The explorer is a must this time so I was gonna buy this:

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=686BXT

How much is this going to effect my mpgs? Were not going to put too much stuff in the cargo area just the alcohol and a few bags, were taking a camry with the other 4 in it too.

Question 2 is, are there anythings I can do that will increase my mpg for the highway? All I really wanna get is 20mpg, that should let me fill up in VA. Beach on a little less than a quarter tank.

Last question is, are there any services I shuld get done? I am getting the tranny fluid, the rear differential fluid, and an oil change/tire rotation done in 2 weeks. Besides those is there anything else I shuld have done? I know an ignition coil is going to go soon shuold I bring one with me just in case or would the highway driving be fine on it? Ive driven 700 miles since I got the last one replaced 3 weeks ago and its been basically all highway and it seems fine now.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your tire presure and make sure its at the highest the tires are rated for. check your air filter and thats about all i can think of. how old are your spark plugs?

if its 4wd dont forget the front diff.... it gets the same amount of klm's as the rear :D

the spark plugs are about 2 months old, I think they have 1500 miles on them. Ill do the front diff too. I was also thinking about getting a dvd player installed in the roof. I wanted it in the headrests but I dont haev adjustable headrests so that wont work.

Thanks guys.

tire pressure...

air filter...

oil change... if needed...

fuel injector cleaner ( i use GUMOUT )

thats my thoughts...

Back