• Register Today It's free!

road trip MPG

cllns96

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I got 21 MPG out of 450 miles route trip, filled up at 380 miles at 18 gallons of tank and that is with check light on and kinda of bad emission. needs egr and 3 O2 sensors and cats. All stock. not bad. What about yours? oh also city mpg? i am getting between 18 to 20 in city. usually 300 to 320 miles a tank in city.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cllns96 said:
I got 21 MPG out of 450 miles route trip, filled up at 380 miles at 18 gallons of tank and that is with check light on and kinda of bad emission. needs egr and 3 O2 sensors and cats. All stock. not bad. What about yours? oh also city mpg? i am getting between 18 to 20 in city. usually 300 to 320 miles a tank in city.

All highway about 23

If i egg it and have a good week (aka hit all lights right, and little traffic) I can get 20 in the city.

But your avg weeks nets me 15.5 mpg at 220 miles for 3/4 a tank.

Bad weeks like this week is 10 :/

This is a totaly stock 95 explorer running in like new shape. All sensors are fine, or have been replaced. Fuel filter, spark plugs, plus the wiring to the plugs have been replaced. Tires and shocks are in like new shape (both replaced like 5k miles ago), and all fluids changed on a regular basis. Total mileage is 126k miles.

cllns96 said:

Thats amazing mileage with all those woes.

How do you know the O2 sensors and cats are bad?

skeptical???? no need...click on the quest for 30 link in his profile, i get like 14.5 in the city in my 00 sport, we'll see how good I get on highway when my cruise control comes in.

of course... check engine light

aldive said:
Thats amazing mileage with all those woes.

How do you know the O2 sensors and cats are bad?

Of course I got it checked and it needs EGR and O2 and my cats has to be going out cuz it smells stink. and I usually get 18 to 20 in the city actually 50 percent city and hwy. but went to a first road trip to AL. and made it 21 mpg but i know i can get little more than that after it is fixed.

HardTech said:
All highway about 23

If i egg it and have a good week (aka hit all lights right, and little traffic) I can get 20 in the city.

But your avg weeks nets me 15.5 mpg at 220 miles for 3/4 a tank.

Bad weeks like this week is 10 :/

This is a totaly stock 95 explorer running in like new shape. All sensors are fine, or have been replaced. Fuel filter, spark plugs, plus the wiring to the plugs have been replaced. Tires and shocks are in like new shape (both replaced like 5k miles ago), and all fluids changed on a regular basis. Total mileage is 126k miles.
it looks like i'm always have a bad week if i calculating right, is there any one who knows what tires would do too the gas miledge

I get 10mpg out of mine no matter how I drive it (city).

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer, 4.0L SOHC, mostly highway. Since they've started the winter MTBE additive in CT I'm getting a solid 15 mpg. New plugs, K&N filter, clean MAF, and I don't drive it like a maniac. Stupid D2 differential is not helping I'm sure (4.10), and all that silly Eddie Bauer cladding, but still...........

cllns96 said:
Of course I got it checked and it needs EGR and O2 and my cats has to be going out cuz it smells stink. and I usually get 18 to 20 in the city actually 50 percent city and hwy. but went to a first road trip to AL. and made it 21 mpg but i know i can get little more than that after it is fixed.

What were your O2 sensor codes?

faulty O2 sensor i forgot which bank but just one but it is always the best to change all 3 as for OHV 4.0 once one went out cuz other 2 will go out soon cuz it is getting a weak voltage. am i right?

still getting 18 mpg in city... would love to see 20 to 21 in city and it will happen :)

I got about 14.5 on a trip to Atlanta and back. I get 11-12.5 in town. All on premium. :)

I know...older thread...but here's the experiences in MPG with my '95. Bone stock except for K&N. 196,000+ miles on it. During summer months I routinely get 21-23mpg with a mix of city/highway (this is on reformulated gas :() Winter here I'm getting 17-20.

When the X was my mom's (the first 184k miles of its life) she drove all highway and 23-24mpg wasn't a problem for her. This thing is really darn good on gas. Way better than my car. I'm lucky to get 15 with that now :D

I am trying to figure out how you guys are getting all of this good mileage. I have a 97 xlt with the 302 and on its best day was 18mpg at 65mph with a tail wind, normaly its about 14-15.

plwboy said:
I am trying to figure out how you guys are getting all of this good mileage. I have a 97 xlt with the 302 and on its best day was 18mpg at 65mph with a tail wind, normaly its about 14-15.

Same here with the 302 and AWD. Something about 5000 lbs and full time 4WD I reckon. I stayed at 60 one trip and got 20.2. Never seen it since.

i just yielded an avg of about 24 :eek: from el paso to dallas with an avg speed of about 75 mph. I couldn't believe it. On the 4.0L SOHC I have a KKM intake, brown wire mod, had the tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T) at 39 psi just for the long trip, removed the cargo racks, ran seafoam through the engine before leaving dallas to el paso (21 mpg) and adjusted the TPS to .98VDC, acetone in the gas (2oz per 10gal), and on the hwy never exceded 2500 rpm when accelerating with cruise control on most of the time. I really want to change my fan to the electric fan like aldive's and see how much better it can be. As far as city, i am not sure with all of these things minus the 39 psi in the tires.

forgot to mention that the avg outside temp was about 67 degrees with slightly windy conditions blowing north i believe and i was traveling east. Also on the way to el paso, there was a rise in elevation, and on the way to dallas there was a decrease in elevation. I know that accounts a little for the better milage on the way back home to dallas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back