Road trip! Wanna change some fluids before I go. Transfer case, diffs etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Road trip! Wanna change some fluids before I go. Transfer case, diffs etc.

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6.

Going on a vacation this next weekend and I want to change out some fluids on my new to me 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. Just want to make sure I have the right fluids here!

Picked up two quarts of Mobile 1 Multi-ATF Sync for my transfer case.

Picked up two quarts of Mobile 1 75-90 LS Sync for the front differential.

Picked up two quarts of Mobile 1 75-140 LS Sync for my rear differential. Also, I might need a Ford brand friction modifier too? How to I tell what rear end I had so I know if I need it or not?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going on a vacation this next weekend and I want to change out some fluids on my new to me 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. Just want to make sure I have the right fluids here!

Picked up two quarts of Mobile 1 75-140 LS Sync for my rear differential. Also, I might need a Ford brand friction modifier too? How to I tell what rear end I had so I know if I need it or not?

Thanks!

Friction modifier is for rear axels whith Limited Slip Differentials. Usually 3:73 final drive ratio, if you have a Towing Package Option, I think it's included. You can verify by looking at the size of your receiver and electrical connector.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Correct on the rear diff oil and the friction modifier, just bought some not long ago and it can be bought at auto parts stores such as "Advance Auto" as well as thru a dealership parts dept. The Haynes manual calls for 4 ounces of it to be added to the rear diff as long as you have a "Limited Slip" diff. Mine is and I have the 2005 version of your Ex. I also have a towing package with a Class 2 trailer hitch/receiver. Call your local Ford dealership and ask the service or parts dept on how to tell if you have a Limited slip diff or not. I called a Ford dealership here by me, and the guy told me to look on the rear diff cover plate, and look for two metal ID tags that are held down by one of the cover plate bolts. If you see two tags, you have a limited slip rear diff. This is what they told me, but do your own research to be sure for yourself unless someone else in here can tell you an easier way of finding that info out.

Well, my XLT does have a factory tow hitch on it. I also have a aftermarket Hidden Hitch brand receiver that is much larger then factory one.

Then in the cabin, there is an aftermarket brake gain control mounted by my right knee. I'm going to assume it has the LSD.

That said Mobile 1 themselves apparently says that if FORD calls for a friction modifier to be added, add it anyway, regardless of the fact there LS fluid has it.

Someone in another thread apparently spoke to Mobile 1 directly and got this information.

Can't see why it would hurt it.

Yeah it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Another way to check to see if you have a LS or not would be to check the axle code in the driver's door.

Or you could jack up the rear of the truck so both rear wheels are in the air, put the trans in neutral, and spin one of the tires by hand. If both wheels turn in the same direction=limited slip. If they spin opposite directions=open

Well the transfer case it done. I'm pretty sure it should have been harder then it was. The fill plug came right out with hardly any effort. Then I put my 3/8 breaker bar on the drain plug and let go. The end of my breaker bar sunk to the ground. The weight of my breaker bar was enough to turn the drain plug. Um...? I was expecting to find little to no fluid but it appeared to be full. Almost 2 quarts rushed out into my drain pan.

How tight are the plugs suppose to be though? They were both barely half way in. I have them almost flush now and it was only hand tight on both.

Both plugs on the rear end came loose with no issues either. I did notice my rear diff is covered with some greasy oily build up. I assume something is leaking. I couldn't tell if it was grease from the axle cups of fluid from the rear end though. Guess I'll know more when I drain it here. I just broke then loose, haven't actually drained them yet.

If you haven't done the front diff yet, I'm fairly certain that you don't need synthetic or friction modifier for it. Conventional 75W-90 is the spec, synthetic would be an upgrade. The LS additive would be a waste of $$ and would make no difference since it's an open diff.

Haynes Torque specs:
T-case drain & fill plugs - 132inlb ('02-'07)
Front diff fill plug - 20ftlb (V6)
Rear diff fill plug - 25ftb
Rear diff drain - not listed

In other words, not much more than hand tight.

>>>>>>>>>
I also have a aftermarket Hidden Hitch brand receiver that is much larger then factory one.<<<<<<<<<<

The larger, aftermarket Hitch receiver sounds as if it is a Class "3" hitch and I would check into towing anything over a Class 2 weight limit with your Ex if you plan to. Class 3 hitches are for heavier loads like larger boats/trailers (19foot and up) and Class 2's work good for towing Utility trailers, snow mobile/ATV type trailers or smaller boats.

>>>>>>>>>That said Mobile 1 themselves apparently says that if FORD calls for a friction modifier to be added, add it anyway, regardless of the fact there LS fluid has it.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If Ford calls for it, use it. I bought a 7 ounce squeeze tube of Friction Modifier at Advance auto parts, think it cost between $5-$7 with the tax.

Back