Road trip

MaverickDaKid

Reaction score
City, State
Poway, San Diego, CA (Born in Miami!)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XL and 96 XLT
Hi,

Im taking a road trip from B.C Canada to San Diego Calif. Now my question is, what do I do to my truck before I go on such a road trip. Its basicly 22 hours of non stop riding.

It has 180,000 KM its a 96 XLT. Runs perfectly except a little issue with the check engine light which im currently working on (isn't serious). I have done the regular tune up already, got new yokohama's on her also.

Is there a maximum amount of time I should run the truck? should i take breaks here and there and give it a breather. I have taken a road trip before from B.C to Florida, but I stopped in between to stay at hotels and stuff, but now im planning on going straight to Cali.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know your limits... BUT DO NOT DRIVE 22 HOURS STRAIGHT... YOU NEED A BREAK...... the truck should be fine other than gas... and you probably need food too and potty breaks.... BUT AGAIN, THATS A LONG DRIVE, AND YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED SLEEP!!!!! i have had several accidnets becuase i fell asleep at the wheel as i was too tired to be operating anything other than a pillow.....

Yeah. What Jim says. Plus driving the I-5 is as exciting as watching paint dry (or watching women's basketball). Are you going by yourself? If you are, I'd plan on having an over-nighter in Redding, CA or so.

and i have fallen asleep on the I-5, i remeber it being dark out, then the next thing i remember was me starting to vear of the road and the sun being up...... not a good experience.... that was actually the last time that i drove tired in a car..... and if you are tired, you will lie to yourself and try to blow it off.... coffee, radio up, windows down, they dont help.... dont lie to yourself, it may cost you your life or the life of someone else..... i got lucky....

Lol, well im going with my dog and brother. Brother can't drive, well he can...but not legaly lol.

Yeah I guess I should take a break somewhere in there. Was just trying to keep the costs low. I'll pull over at a parking lot or something lol. And yeah I have to stop every now and then for the doggy. Potty breaks and all....

Main concern was for the truck. Don't want it to blow up or anything.

Your truck should be fine. Just change the oil and check the tire pressure before you go. :D

Take jims advice and stop to rest. I have driven from Colorado To Pheonix In one night after working for 12 hours only remeber the first half of the trip. Luckly I survived some how. I will never do that again. You could always stop at a Wal-Mart parking lot for a quick snooze. They offer their lots for that. Plus at some of them you could get gas too. Good luck and Have a safe Trip.

You'll be fine. Back when I was in college I used to drive to and from CA and MI twice a year. One part of that trip was a 17 hour drive from CO to IL. No problems at all, and I had well over 100K on mine.

Mike

Just make sure you put it in drive NOT low 2.

And for goodness sake RELEASE THE PARKING BREAK !!!!!

Lol, alright thanks for the advice and info. Appreciate it.

I just drove from Colorado to Missouri, 13 hours, with another driver. We drove all night and let me tell you, when you get out there in western Kansas at 3 a.m., it's a rough deal.

I like Kansas and all, but we were saying, if you want to torture Osama bin Laden or Ramzi bin al-shibh, just tie them to the roof rack on my Explorer with their eyelids taped open, and drive them across Kansas about 3 times. Those mf'ers will tell you anything you want to know after that.

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
I like Kansas and all, but we were saying, if you want to torture Osama bin Laden or Ramzi bin al-shibh, just tie them to the roof rack on my Explorer with their eyelids taped open, and drive them across Kansas about 3 times. Those mf'ers will tell you anything you want to know after that.

LoL

Back