Roadbully Lift-Wash. DC area installer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roadbully Lift-Wash. DC area installer

2+2

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4X4
Hi..my first post.

To the point...has anyone in the Washington DC area had their Roadbully lift installed? If so, where did you get it done and how much did it cost?

I am not sure I can do it by my self....especially if something goes wrong. All my friends are yuppies and don't wrench...

Also, where can I buy some skid plates?

As an intro, I own a totally stock 2002 Explorer XLT V8 with TowPackage since new. It has been a very utilitarian truck. It has nickeled and dimed me (hubs and AC being the main ones) but there is nothing else that I really want to replace it with right now, at least not for what I would have to pay.

I ended up here because my 4 year old boy has shown interest in 4 wheeling due to his friend whose dad has a Wrangler X and has been off roading. I am new to off roading and I took him to a light trail and found that I dont have enough ground clearance to do even pretty basic trails. I would like to get the Explorer a bit more competent off road and am considering:
1. Roadbully Lift 2"/1.75"
2. 265/70 R16 (Definity Dakota AT or Firestone Destination AT) - I think 265/75s would rub on my car because I have the body cladding and there is only 2 inches between it and my rear tire right now.

I am hoping that this combo with the added 3" of clearance would allow me to take my boys on some more fun trails than dirt roads.

Thanks for any information and advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's not bad to do yourself, but my local mechanic charged 86 bucks for the rear and I did the front myself in the driveway

Hi..my first post.

To the point...has anyone in the Washington DC area had their Roadbully lift installed? If so, where did you get it done and how much did it cost?

I am not sure I can do it by my self....especially if something goes wrong. All my friends are yuppies and don't wrench...

Also, where can I buy some skid plates?

As an intro, I own a totally stock 2002 Explorer XLT V8 with TowPackage since new. It has been a very utilitarian truck. It has nickeled and dimed me (hubs and AC being the main ones) but there is nothing else that I really want to replace it with right now, at least not for what I would have to pay.

I ended up here because my 4 year old boy has shown interest in 4 wheeling due to his friend whose dad has a Wrangler X and has been off roading. I am new to off roading and I took him to a light trail and found that I dont have enough ground clearance to do even pretty basic trails. I would like to get the Explorer a bit more competent off road and am considering:
1. Roadbully Lift 2"/1.75"
2. 265/70 R16 (Definity Dakota AT or Firestone Destination AT) - I think 265/75s would rub on my car because I have the body cladding and there is only 2 inches between it and my rear tire right now.

I am hoping that this combo with the added 3" of clearance would allow me to take my boys on some more fun trails than dirt roads.

Thanks for any information and advice.

The install isn't really all that difficult. If you have a couple buddies you can knock it off in afternoon and save a few bucks. As for tires, a 265/75 will fit on 3rd gen stock. I've run both a Dick Cepek Mud Country and BFG AT in that size before lifting. Infact, the pic in my avatar is with the Dick Cepeks, no lift. There were no issues. Good luck with whatever route you decide on.

I second the "do it yourself" I (finally) did my front today, about 4 hrs myself (3 hrs first one, 1 hr second), mostly due to that little rear bolt in the spacer and trying to short cut not unbolting the steering balljoint. I suggest a buddy for at least conversation, and an extra set of hands and follow RB's instructions exactly, and you can blow thru it.

or yellowpage a small mom and pop mechanic - I found a guy local to me that used to do my gears and head porting. they might charge whatever their hourly rate is for 4-6 hrs total.

Thanks for your inputs...the primary thing that concerns me are frozen nuts, broken studs etc. Also, with a 4 yr old and 2 yr old and a working wife in the house, it seems almost impossible to get huge blocks of time like that to do things. I also read in one of the posts that extra set of hands are required. Even if I had the time, my friends are not very available since they to have young ones in the house and I would feel bad asking them to sacrifice such blocks of time, especially considering they don't wrench. Those are the reasons I am looking for someone to just install it for me....

The small local mechanic is a good idea and something that I will investigate. I am still hoping that someone in the DC area will chime in with some info as to where I can get it installed for a reasonable price.

Is it true that there is no skid plates available at all for the 3rd gen X?

Thanks

How far are you willing to travel?

Oh, Cozmik, thanks for your info on tires. I have read on hear that most people can run 265/75 16 stock with no problems. However, many of these have been without the body cladding (although yours has it) and there has been one or two users that couldnt get the size to work without rubbing... I have only got about 2" clearance now with my 235s on the drivers side rear.... In looking for some tires, I have been told that because this size is not approved for use in the X (255/70 is the max approved), once it is mounted, they are mine...no returns....hence...the reason I am thinking 265/70. I dont think 265/70s would be that bad considering I will either be stock or 2"/1.75" lift.

How far are you willing to travel?

I guess that all depends on the cost and if there is anything along the way or near by that I can occupy my family... I have taken my Legacy SpecB to near Baltimore (Westminster) to a vendor to buy some parts and get things installed...Do you know of a shop that has experience with installing lifts?

I guess that all depends on the cost and if there is anything along the way or near by that I can occupy my family... I have taken my Legacy SpecB to near Baltimore (Westminster) to a vendor to buy some parts and get things installed...Do you know of a shop that has experience with installing lifts?

There is a shop up in Westminster called Appalachian Offroad.. If you need tires they can also order them and probably get you a good price.
www.appalachianoffroad.com

Thanks. I will keep them in mind and if nothing closer materializes, I will give them a call.

i live in pa and would be willing to install it if you're willing to drive. i wont be home till late december but i can talk to my buddy about using his garage. then we are good to go

macknos94, thanks so much for your offer. I will have to think about that although PA is pretty far.
Quick question, on your push bars (I think that is what its called), do you have a skid plate attached? Does the bars extend down and under to protect the radiator/trans cooler? It seems there are no underbody protection available for the X?!?
Thanks

mine doesn't have a skid plate but they will be in the works when i get home. nothing really heavy duty but just some snow protection for those trips to the hunting cabin. for how much off roading i have done i havn't had anything hit ether radiator yet sooo

i would say like 200 max for front and rear installed. if every goes smooth then it will be less. i had mine in in about 5-6 hours just because they are the 3/2.5 inch spacers. know that i have the install down i would say probably 3-4 hours

i just mapquested directions from your place to mine and its about a 2.5 hr drive so when i get home its all up to you if you wanna do it

They do make skid plates for the ex they are just hard to find. In my opinion you do not need one for the front, i did alot of hard wheeling with mine and no problems at all. Also if you are doing lite trail riding i would not even worry about skid plates. I have used the factory side steps like rock sliders and they worked out great.

but if you wheel in snow at all it can make a difference between getting stuck and not. kinda gives you more area to float on instead of hang up on

They do make skid plates for the ex they are just hard to find. In my opinion you do not need one for the front, i did alot of hard wheeling with mine and no problems at all. Also if you are doing lite trail riding i would not even worry about skid plates. I have used the factory side steps like rock sliders and they worked out great.

Thanks for you comments. I did notice that the factory runners are at the same level as the frame beams so I suppose they will offer some protection but my concern is primarily with the oil pan, the gas tank and the radiator/trans cooler, the gas tank being at a flush level with the frame beams. In the little trail I took, I went over a bump, went outside to check and I had less that an inch clearance...hence the reason for this whole investigation into what can be done...

I found couple vendors with bull bars (Hunter-ebay and Westin) that have some front skid plate feature but I dont know if the skid plate extend back far enough to protect the radiator/cooler. If it does, I would buy it. Can anyone comment as to whether the Hunter skid plate would provide any protection to that gap underneath for the radiator/cooler.

Macknos94, I will keep you in mind but realistically, you are likely too far to make it happen. Thanks tho. I do appreciate it.

I think that the only ones that make a skid plate for the radiator is ones that are custom made. Most of the skid plates for the gas tank are plastic and I have not touched my oil pan and I used to wheel it pretty hard.

yeah i would say don't worry about the oil pan because it is tucked up behind the ifs pretty well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back