Robb's SAS | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Robb's SAS

Hey Guys!
OK, I was trying to put off starting a thread like this until stuff got closer to done, but I have been asked so many questions in the middle of other threads, I thought I should.

This is the plan:
-SOA
-HP YJ D30 SFA
-35"s

As a lot of you guys know, I had the oppurtunity to have the work done by an expert at one heck of a good price.:D The SOA and SFA are being done by Cory at CRL Customs So, as far as the really technical stuff, I will have no idea since I am not the person actually doing the work.

OK, the first obvious question. "Why a D30?" I know most people instantly think of a D44 when they think of a SAS for an Explorer. The idea of a D30 hit me when I was planning on doing the project myself (which would have never become reality). I liked how the YJ D30 was about the same width, bolt pattern was the same, I thought leafs would be pretty easy (Wrong!), and $$$. So I started looking into the pros and cons of the D30, and after a lot of research, I felt it met my requirements for what I was looking for out of an axle. And to be honest, I think stock D44s (especially LPs) are a bit overated (yep, I said it). They aren't the strongest things on Earth like a lot of people seem to think.

OK, enough yapping for a starter post. Let me throw a few pics of the progress.

Robb

Start with a stock pic:

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,655

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys just wanted to give an update after being road worthy for a week now.

i have not hooked up teh trac bar and have been up down country highways where log trucks beat down everyday and have had NO tracking issues! just leaves nad reused explorer fron sway bar.

i still don thave a front driveshaft and have just been too lazy to get it done. ive got the gears to install too. its been raingin liek crazy and since i work outside i dont want to be dirty and uncomfortable setting up gears.

i pick up tres tommorrow. one thing or another has kept me from getting them for 2 weeks now. im am 99% confident that ill clear 35s with no rubbing and no trimming. this is because i set axle forward an inch.

i have digi camer a with no cord today (dumbass) so pics will have to wait. damn it this is too cool. had a guy in the grocery store parking lot stop and ask me what the "sideways shock was for" pointing at steering stabalizer.

RIDE IS AWESOME!

i still have to get bump stop installed as i can bump frame easy with sway bar disconnected.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great, Buchvilleman, I can't wait to hear how Robb does with his.

So what are we looking at with the coil kit? I know this is a PITA, but it's your fault!! :D Now I'm sure most guys are fiending as much as I am.

You guys have come up with a cure for the common X, didn't think you get to hog the prescription did ya? ;)

Start cooking up numbers! Seriously, if I can just buy the setup I'll get somebody up here to do it for me...I doubt very much it's something I'd try to tackle myself.

Any idea on the turnaround for the coil SAS?

You guys just killed the market on IFS lifts...I'm sure everybody that was considering the IFS lift is counting their doughnuts and thinking this is definitely the better way to go! I know I am. :D

3front2-med.jpg

3front1-med.jpg

robb, cory, lizardtrac, and all you other gusy that have participated on this thread THANK YOU! i owe you all beer. The info on this thread is very valuable.

YOU GUYS ROCK!

flex shots this weekend after i gear the front and get driveshafts squared away.

OH HELL YEA!

you guys are making me want to go find a ragged out sport somewere and park my Bronco underneath it. ;) for those that dont know what the f**k im saying, i want to get a sport to swap the Bronco running gear onto.

Congratulations BUCHVILLEMAN! Looks very nice!

Maybe someday Ford will take notice and start making some models with solid front axles off the production line. Damn, I'm day dreaming again.

It's hard to believe that Dodge/Jeep is the only one putting solid front axles in anything less than a 3/4Ton truck/suv.

If only I liked Dodge/Jeeps, but I don't.

Looks great BUCHVILLEMAN!!

Mine is just about done, new tires on, gears and locker are in, tranny x-member modified, front axle all put together, just waiting for the new driveshaft thats coming today Fedex. The thing rides great now.

You all might wanna look for the skunk on the outdoor network, 4x4 TV. it will be on the PA Rally episodes soon. The actual rally is this weekend.

thanks guys.

ive still gotta resolve front driveshaft. i dont know if i want to get one lengthened or buy one that is the right size... lizardtrac, didnt you say you were getting a chevy front shaft?

ive also heard that a long bed ranger rear shaft will replace my now short rear shaft. ive got may be .5" of spline in the slip.:eek: does anyone know if this is true?

ive been goofing 2wd in the mud puddles and the edge of the lake. i cant seem to even stick it with these tires, in comparrison to 32 bfg at.

Get that thing in the SAS registry! It will be the first late model Explorer there!! Congrats!!

Oh man, Robbs changed his avatar...now I gotta drool everytime he posts something! :)

Robb, have you driven it yet? :D I'll bet that's the face all you SAS guys have when you CLIMB IN. How's it feel on the road?

Ok, since I'm here, I'm going to ask some questions if you guys don't mind.

Can this be done to an AWD, without changing the transfer case or is it a must that the transfer case be changed?

I figure with the AWD with a selectable locker up front is basically the same thing?

I know you won't have the option of selecting 4x Hi or 4x low...if that makes sense, but it's perfectly feasible, right?

Unlocked up front would be like running an open diffy?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Or is my stupidity showing? :D :D

Thanks!

In response to what Bushvilleman said about about Chris using a chevy front driveshaft, well, it was going to be a pain in the ass to get it to fit to the transfercase so he was going to take it to a driveshaft shop to see what the guy there could do with it, but unfourtuantly that guy was on vacation and since we needed the driveshaft to compete in the rally this weekend we had one custom made at http://www.4xshaft.com/ and had it FedExed. This way it will just bolt right in perfectly, I hope.

this could be done with an AWD. But IMO if you are goign to go with all the trouble of the axle swap to gain off road performance then a regualr tcase would be benificial. with AWD youwould never or hardly get 50 50 power/traction to the front and rear.

my thought spring the extra 350-550 for a manual shift BW-1354 tcase and do it right BUT you could in theory hook up an AWD tcase to a solid axle.

thanks for compliment rick.

BTW - it feels great getting in and it handles so awesome on the road

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
my thought spring the extra 350-550 for a manual shift BW-1354 tcase and do it right BUT you could in theory hook up an AWD tcase to a solid axle.
BTW - it feels great getting in and it handles so awesome on the road

Thanks.

The transfer cases come in electric control? I'm going to have to do some homework on this- I was just about to do the SuperLift for the IFS when I saw Robbs thread and that idea went out the window with a quickness!

I can only imagine how it feels...must be real sweet! :D

I don't know, but it seems like you got yours pretty much dont in a heart beat! How long was your truck down for?

BTW: IT LOOKS NIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEE!!! :D :D :D

I can't wait to be able to climb into something like that!

4 weekends... but had to sacrafice time with kids and wife also much back pain.

imnot sure what you are asking about tcase now... the manual tcase would replace all the electric stuff. its cut and dry mechanical operation. pull stick back one notch 4x4 high, one mor notch neutral, one more notch 4x4 low. no electric controls or anything.

"I can't wait to be able to climb into something like that!"

come down to florida or meet me in manhattan next fall, and you drive mine. wife and i are taking a 5 day vacation and staying in the city. we try to go every other year but have missed 2 years so i know we will make it this year.

we might even make it to brooklyn if we decide to visit friends from college there.

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
imnot sure what you are asking about tcase now... the manual tcase would replace all the electric stuff. its cut and dry mechanical operation. pull stick back one notch 4x4 high, one mor notch neutral, one more notch 4x4 low. no electric controls or anything.

"I can't wait to be able to climb into something like that!"

come down to florida or meet me in manhattan next fall, and you drive mine. wife and i are taking a 5 day vacation and staying in the city. we try to go every other year but have missed 2 years so i know we will make it this year.

That's what I thought, you already had a hole for the shift...or did you punch one?

I don't have an existing hole, I'd have to punch one, unless there's an electronic transfer case option...something with a switch set up to get 4Hi/4Lo.

I'd hate to have to punch the hole. :(

I think if I got near one of the SAS Late Models - I'd stand there drooling like an idiot! :D

All I can say is Beautiful!! Absolutely Beautiful!

In the city you never see trucks set up like you guys have done yours...I got to this board and been stuck on stupid ever since! :confused:

Definitely PM me if you come up this way! I'll get the beers! Hopefully I'll get mine done up over the summer. ;)

the hole is easy. either a sawzall/jigsaw to cut it yourself or get the tranny hump pan that has the hole in it.

btw - whenever ive used junkyarddog.com i have alwasy gotten excellent prices from a yard in NY. might be worth checking into when you are buying parts.

ill take you up on teh beers:D :D im goign to have a few tonight;)
have agood one im headed to the house!

BUCHVILLEMAN: Your X rocks! Looks great, like it supposed to be there! All you guys are teasing me, I guess I'd better get the SAS done.

cdsl227: I'm not sure on the 2nd Gen X, but the first Gen's have a plate in the trans hump that unbolts to have the Manual T-case shifter poke through. Some of the other guys could tell you for sure. Do a search on here re: Manual BW-1354. Trust me, you don't want electric shift.

Thanks! I'm going to start doing the research on the transfer case...

:D :D

Well, its done, Officially 100% done, driveshaft is in, 4wd works great with the locker up front..... Im now a happy camper.

Back