Rock Sliders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rock Sliders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont have a how to.. but i do have some pics..

1009-1010041.jpg

1009-1010040.jpg

1009-1010039.jpg

1009-1010038.jpg

1009-1010042.jpg

HEY long time no talk to!! Thats what im looking for is a set up that goes right under the body light like, tight to the doors... my rocker panels are umm gona.. past gone... you have any off pictures?

My sliders replace the rockers, which were also gone.

DSC00210.JPG

yeep thats what im looking for. something simple but works, doesnt have to stick out to far or at all, i like foursports, just not good with a welder or have access to one, thats why im trying to get some pics, so i can show a friend..

what gauges did yall use

those are all the pics I have.. my rockers were rusting out, dented from landing on rocks, the front of the rear wheel wells were returning to the earth. friend of mine cut out the rockers, cut the wheel well, weleded 1/8" plate from the body line down, square tubing went in place of the rockers.

WHATS BEEN UP DUDE!

WHATS BEEN UP DUDE!

not a lot man, finally got motor problems all fixed and street legal again! trying to start on body next year and this was on of the big things i wanted to do

Turdle I like them first ones you posted up, i wonder where in the heck i would find metal...

Starting about here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254086&highlight=sliders&page=54

is the set I made for vitamin D

You should scour your area's metal dealers. Look for " metal fabrication" in the yellow pages, for a start. You will find what you need, but you may have to do some investigation, at first.

You might even find a place which fabricates things, and can sell you a "kit" if you do some good measuring, so they can do the pre cutting, and bending, for you.

i dont have a welder.. plus suck at angle finding... but i did find a 4x4 shop kinda local... i contacted them.. i know there is a guy in next town as well.. but he wants a lot, he thinks what he does is gold... i had a custom bumper drawed up, VERY simple.. and he wanted like 550..... f that.. i can get one from Mountain Mans for that...

those are all the pics I have.. my rockers were rusting out, dented from landing on rocks, the front of the rear wheel wells were returning to the earth. friend of mine cut out the rockers, cut the wheel well, weleded 1/8" plate from the body line down, square tubing went in place of the rockers.

WHATS BEEN UP DUDE!

Do I understand this right?

The bottom of the rocker panel is now a flat piece of steel with the square tubeing welded to that. You then have tubes running from the frame to the square tube. Basically it ties the frame to the body?

If thats right, any new issues with noise or body/joints ripping?

I'm going to need sliders soon as my rocker panels are really banged up. If I could raise the sliders up to the spot where the rockers were that woud be great.

~Mark

Do I understand this right?

The bottom of the rocker panel is now a flat piece of steel with the square tubeing welded to that. You then have tubes running from the frame to the square tube. Basically it ties the frame to the body?

If thats right, any new issues with noise or body/joints ripping?

I'm going to need sliders soon as my rocker panels are really banged up. If I could raise the sliders up to the spot where the rockers were that woud be great.

~Mark

Yep, thats pretty much it. It wasnt something I had any control over, i kinda dropped the Explorer off at a friends and he made magic happen. I havnt had any issues or complaints, there is some noise if I have the truck bound up pretty good, otherwise cant even tell. I've put them through some rough situations and have held up fine.

I have boat sides on my wish list which would also be welded to the body and then to the frame...but that's not for a long time

i didnt think about the welding to the body causing complications.. i think what im gonna do is get a SMALL square tube to well in place of the Rockers to the body then have a rock slider modded up for the wrap around..

i didnt think about the welding to the body causing complications.. i think what im gonna do is get a SMALL square tube to well in place of the Rockers to the body then have a rock slider modded up for the wrap around..

It can be good and bad. Good, as it it keep you from ripping the body at teh firewall (Rick did that already), just like a roll cage will do.

Bad is if the body isn't strong enough to keep everything from flexing you may rip the body elseware (sp?).

~Mark

Back