• Register Today It's free!

Rock Sliders

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
I started working on my sliders today, didn't get much done. Just to damn hot. Here's a couple pic's.
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great man. Maybe should post this in off road fabrication...

So far so good! Those inside acute angles can be tricky to weld, at least they were for me. Looking forward to your results!

I know! I got a couple angle pieces I am going to add on the end, just got my angles wrong so I am waiting til I get another 1 1/2 square tube ordered. I am kinda using yours as my template. I went with 2x3 instead. Sorry to here about you explorer, but really like your new one.

Gotta a little bit more done on these. Here's a couple pics.
IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

I like these sliders. Watching this one

nice! don't worry, the brackets are where it gets fun :D

I got a little ways to go before the brackets. I need to install my 1.5" body lift first. I still have not decided on which way I am going to go with the brackets yet.

Alright here's what I got now. All I have left is the legs and how I am connecting them to my frame. Still debating if I should go with the 1.5 body lift or leave it the way it is.
IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

rangermidtn said:
Alright here's what I got now. All I have left is the legs and how I am connecting them to my frame. Still debating if I should go with the 1.5 body lift or leave it the way it is.

They look really clean. I'd've taken a grinder to those welds and smoothed them out a bit, but I'm particular about that kind of thing :D

Interested to see how you mount them. Will they be bolt on/off or welded?

They look really clean. I'd've taken a grinder to those welds and smoothed them out a bit, but I'm particular about that kind of thing :D

Interested to see how you mount them. Will they be bolt on/off or welded?

I think I am going to weld them, still not postive, but that looks like the way I am going to go. I am going to grind the welds down before putting bed liner on them.

I think I am going to weld them, still not postive, but that looks like the way I am going to go. I am going to grind the welds down before putting bed liner on them.

Although it may be more difficult to do, I'd really try to make them bolt on/off. That way if you happen to break a weld actually using them for their intended purpose it'd be much easier to pull off and fix.... I personally can't weld to save my life. I do know that at 6'7" the LAST place I want to be trying to weld is on my back under the truck :D

I see your dealing with a lot of spatter, I have the same problem but still never looked into how to reduce it as everything I have welded isn't really "seen" but I should figure it out soon since I plan on custom making a headache rack for the 96' F350 that I'm taking possession of in the spring.

Best way to reduce splatter is to reduce the wire speed and increase the heat. They also make anti-splatter spray, just don't spray it on the weld areas cause you'll get defects in the welds from it.

If that's flux core then spatter is fairly normal, esp if the welder output is AC vs DC Electrode Negative. As long as its in the form of tiny little BBs (like you have) then it's not a big deal. Big globs of splatter means something isn't right. Couple of passes with a flap disc afterwards will knock that stuff off no problem. The bedliner will also probably hide it fairly well.

I have flux core welder, do get a lot of splatter. I think what you in the pic's is rain. I just started sprinkling when I took the pictures.

That does look like rain after looking at it more.. Still looks good none the less

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump for an update

Back