Rock Sliders | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rock Sliders

Here's a cool idea for bolt on mounting that I think would work well for ours since we have a box frame that has a lot of stuff in the way (like the fuel tank) on the inboard side. If I make another set for my new truck I'll probably do something like this.

See post #13:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/show...rame-or-bolt&p=1513829&viewfull=1#post1513829

Then just have flanges on the legs of your sliders and you'll be able to run a bolt through those and into the frame mounted plates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I had a plasma cutter or access to one, that would be the way I would like to do it. I am going to go ahead and just weld them to the frame. I am waiting for it to cool down some here befor I install these, plus I am waiting for my welding blanket to come in. I am using that to cover the fuel tank when I weld the plates to the frame. I am working on another project, I am building a light bar for the front, I am using my left 1 1/2" sqare tubing for this. I will download some pics later.

Ronin8002 said:
Here's a cool idea for bolt on mounting that I think would work well for ours since we have a box frame that has a lot of stuff in the way (like the fuel tank) on the inboard side. If I make another set for my new truck I'll probably do something like this.

See post #13:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?154015-Rock-Slider-build-weld-to-the-frame-or-bolt&p=1513829&viewfull=1#post1513829

Then just have flanges on the legs of your sliders and you'll be able to run a bolt through those and into the frame mounted plates.

Just like the rear bumper brackets!!!!

Well here you go. They are partially finished. I am doing them like a jeep, I am using the mounts for the running boards, and sometime here this week I will add 2 braces each side going to the frame.
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

Here's a pic of the body mounts I welded up.
IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Looks really clean man! Great work

They look really good ranger, but when you plop down on a rock youre going to push the sliders up and crush the body. I'm not one to bash a person's project but I highly advise mounting them to the frame before you test them, unless the bracing is going to be at all three mounting spots and very rigid

other than the mounting points, they look pretty wicked and match the light bar :thumbsup:

Nice job! Yeah definitely get those things tied into the frame and gusseted before you try using them as a jack point. They look real good though:thumbsup:

EDIT: Actually, since the body and frame can flex independently of each other it may not be a great idea to attach them to the frame, you might rip the body mounts if the frame flexes enough. The body mounts might be strong enough...just put a floor jack under one of the sliders and jack it up a little at a time to see if you have bending or flexing under load.

Nice job! Yeah definitely get those things tied into the frame and gusseted before you try using them as a jack point. They look real good though:thumbsup:

EDIT: Actually, since the body and frame can flex independently of each other it may not be a great idea to attach them to the frame, you might rip the body mounts if the frame flexes enough. The body mounts might be strong enough...just put a floor jack under one of the sliders and jack it up a little at a time to see if you have bending or flexing under load.

Thanks Ronin I didn't think about that. Alright I went and tried on both sides, was able to lift the truck both sides, flexed about 1/2"-3/4". I noticed some more bolt holes underneath the body, so I am going to use those too. I'll make some 1/4" brackets and 1/4 flat stock with welded bolts for these to reinforce them.

I love the way these look! I will definitely be removing my running boards and fabbing up a set of these here before long! What size tubing did you use? Awesome job by the way, bed liner is always a nice touch.

I love the way these look! I will definitely be removing my running boards and fabbing up a set of these here before long! What size tubing did you use? Awesome job by the way, bed liner is always a nice touch.

I used 2"x3" , and 1.5" square.

Back