rocker arms, lifters, and pushrods ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rocker arms, lifters, and pushrods ?

Raceit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 2DR 4WD XL
Very soon I will be tearing into my engine to fix my valve clatter probelm.
I got some really good prices from http://www.stevensparts.com for the rocker arm assembly and the roller lifters. The cool part is that the rocker arm assemby comes with the pushrods and its the complete set. Not just for one side. So that will get me the rocker arm assembly, the push rods, and the roller lifters.

Can I replace all these things without taking off the heads or the intake manifold? From what I understand you might have to take the intake manifold off. I really don't see that as a big deal since you're in the engine that far anyway. But are you able to get the lifters out and put new ones in without taking off the heads?
Plus any insight into this process would be great.

And I have the roller lifters and not the hydrolic lifters on my 4.0L OHV right?

Incase anybody is wondering. The prices from stevensparts.com are $120 for the rocker arm assembly. That includes both sides and pushrods. Then $130 for the roller lifters. These are "take-off" parts and I'm fine with that.

Also as a side note... I have tried everything to try to fix the valve clatter. It's at such an extreme point in the problem that nothing else will fix it. It sounds like parts will start to come though the valve cover. It's pretty bad. But the engine doesn't burn oil and it even still has good power. So this is a cheap solution to an engine that has over 190K on the meter and I don't plan to hot-rod it any time soon.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have to take the intake off to replace the lifters, but you can leave the heads on. The rockers and pushrods could be replaced by only removing the valve covers.

That is some good news for sure! :) Woohoo!

Sounds like a realitivly painless weekend project then. Of course what could pobbible go wrong? Anyways, I'll stop before I jinx myself. :)

Thanks JDraper!

is there also a more agressive powerful cam out their for an x 4.0 ? those roller rockers and pushrods sound great!

Ford gaskets

Race it do yourself a favor and get the FORD gaskets for the intake and the valve covers. Well worth the dollars - Try Torrie at FPN (banner at top of boards) for decent prices. Also watch the torque on the intake bolts and fuel rail studs. The intake has a very specific torque sequence and steps that you have to follow for a long lasting job.
Those prices are great! Better than I thought.

Just to straighten out some info from above;
The 4.0 uses hydraulic roller lifters stock, the rocker arms are shaft mounted cast units stock, no rollers.

Iceman- Cams are avail from Comp Cams, CamCraft, most likely some other custom grinders, do a search on the site the cams have been written about extensively.

Have fun and good luck.

Interesting. I just ordered the roller lifters. These are the parts that sit on top of the cam shaft and move the push rods up and down right? Did I make a mistake there?

no mistake

Originally posted by Raceit
Interesting. I just ordered the roller lifters. These are the parts that sit on top of the cam shaft and move the push rods up and down right? Did I make a mistake there?

No I dont think you made a mistake if you ordered the lifters for a 4.0 Ford- they are all the same - all are roller lifters, and all are hydraulic. Yes the lifters ride on the cam lobes.

Thanks for the info!!!

I still need all the torque specs for everything. And my Haynes shop manual doesn't go into enough detail for that. Will the Cheltons (sp?) have that? Or where can I go for that kind of info?

My Chilton book has torque specs for that.

Back