rocker panel rust question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rocker panel rust question

I have noticed alot of people talking about rocker panel rust , my 94 has this problem to, I was wondering if you could just cut out the outer rocker panel then part you see and still retain structural strength? Cause if its not there it wont rust I dunno I was just curiousif this would be an option. I know it wouldnt look the best but anything is better than rust .

My mom has a 92 with this same problem. A local body shop said the only thing they would do for it is cut the rocker panel off and weld in a new one. I would think that if you just cut it off and left it like that, you would lose structural integrety since that is a jacking point on many vehicles.

I've repaired a portion of my rocker panel. I would just leave it as is unless you plan to fix it. You will lose no structural integrity. They don't really provide any in the first place and if they did and they are rusted then the structural integrity would be gone anyway. Also, I would never jack my X up by the rockers unless I wanted to do some damage. The suggested jacking points are under the shock mounts in front and under the axle in the rear.

Back