Rocker panel trim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rocker panel trim

My recently bought 98 XLT 5.0L came with a passenger side running board and no running board on the driver's side.. I'd like to take off the passenger side one and cover the mounting cutouts (both sides of course) with a paintable rocker panel trim of some sort, or maybe just basic black trim (vinyl, rubber, etc.). I'd like it to be relatively narrow so it's unobtrusive but clean up the appearance. I'm thinking I'll go without running boards entirely, or maybe later add some tubular ones. Anybody done this? Any products you can recommend? Was thinking maybe one of the stainless types and then paint it to match the body, but was hoping maybe somebody makes an aftermarket trim to fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check junkyards or on the forum for someone that has these stock replacements. They came on the non-runningboard Ex's...

DSCF8115.jpg

Sweet! Those would be perfect. I'll start looking - thanks Joe!

What color is your Ex?

There are only 2 pieces per side, as can be seen... I took mine off to put some running boards on...

Mine's white. Also by the time I got it registered in Colorado it didn't leave much of anything left over to spend on it just yet, but thinking ahead.

Ok... I'll keep an eye out for a white set here at the pick 'n pull yards. They're cheap, if I find a set I'll see if you need them and I can send them over- shouldn't be bad...

If anyone else in the meantime sees anything, maybe they can help too...

Thanks Joe. No worries, I'll check around here - there's more Ex's than you can shake a stick at in Denver - must be some in the scrap yards.

Mine's white. Also by the time I got it registered in Colorado it didn't leave much of anything left over to spend on it just yet, but thinking ahead.

I took my white ones off a long time ago for clearance issues. (They're the same as that pic, but white.) They come in two parts each, the running board and the front end/corner piece and are held on by plastic clips. You're welcome to have mine if you want to pay shipping from CA to CO. May be cheaper to find them at a pick-n-pull though.

Back