RockRangerII the build up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,904

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the dana 44 that will eventually be going in the truck. It is a low pinion out of a jeep waggoneer. It is 61.5" wide. The axle is 6 lug so I ether need to convert it to 5 lug and use adapters on the rear like everyone else does or figure out a way to make the rear 8.8 six lug to match. I went with this axle because it is close to the right width and to beable to get the truck in the back yard where I park it when I am not driving it I only clear the neighbors fence and the gas meter on our house by about 4" combined so I need to keep the width down. Worst case when I do the axle swap is I may have to move the gas meter back a few feet which would leave plenty of room to get by.

Attachments

• Dana44.jpg
    Dana44.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,335

After buying a lincoln 220volt welder I needed something to practice my welding skills on. I decided to build a skid plate for the front dana 35. On my old housing the 3 lower bolts were screwed up from hitting them on rocks that it was hard to get a socket on them hopefully this will stop that from happening to this one. I also developed a leak on the old dana 35 that I couldnt get to seal. I believe part of the problem was from smaking the front diff so many times that the bolt holes became stripped out somewhat and I couldnt get it to stay tight. One time I managed to get a rock stuck on the aluminum housing of the dana 35 that lifted both front tires off the ground. I think this also contiputed to the leak. Hopefully I will get it mounted tommorow and get a few pictures of it on the truck then.

Attachments

• frontdiff1.jpg
    frontdiff1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 3,318
  • frontdiff2.jpg
    frontdiff2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,311

Subscribe :)

After going to truckhaven this past weekend on the annual forum run and riding with others most of the weekend I needed to do something with my truck. I went on the night run with my truck and in 1.5 hours I managed to need a strap twice get pushed twice some helpful weight bias of RangerX on my rear bumper. I also managed to dent the corner of the bed, crack a taillight and tweak the crappy stock rear bumper I needed some help. After a quick inspection of the truck I found one source of the problem.

Attachments

• opendiff.jpg
    opendiff.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,478

So to solve the problem I decided to test out the handy dandy lincoln welder again. Should take care of some of the problems with traction.

Attachments

• lockeddiff.jpg
    lockeddiff.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3,552

Well, at least it is a true Lincoln locker and not a miller or hobart:D

I am planning on take the ranger on about an 800-1000 mile road trip this weekend with maybe some wheeling involved I will see how it does then. I plan on when I get back changing the rear diff fluid and see how the locker holds up. I may add more welds to it then if I see any problems. I also started making a rear bumper out of 2x4 tubing across the back then 2x2 tubing that will run from the rear bumper the wheelwell. Hopefully I will have it done tommorow as well. Still need to figure out where I am going to mount the licance plate. Also taking the rear sway bar off as well.

Diff Whack Daddy said:
Well, at least it is a true Lincoln locker and not a miller or hobart:D

I saw somewhere someone selling stickers that looked just like the lincoln logo but said lincoln locker. If I could find them I would get one.

How does the welded rear perform on the road? I'd like to do this as it's an easy option for a locker, but it's a daily driver so....gotta keep the road manners. By the way, nice project, good luck with it.

Not sure yet how the road manners are of it yet cause i havent driven it yet. In my last ranger I had a lockright and a detroit and both were fine on the road other then a few pops and bangs now and then. This truck isnt really my daily driver as I have a 2004 z71 silverado, however i do find myself driving the ranger more then I thought I would. If I end up really hating the lincoln welder I will go buy a real locker.

I found the lincoln locker stickers going to get get a couple
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312314

I knew you were going to weld that diff when you got home!! :D
I'm not suprised that you're already making a new rear bumper for it either. Are you going to bob the bed at all or is it not necessary?
Good luck with the front axle when you get to it. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the new project. Posting for updates.

www.wheeladapter.com

They should be able to build you a set for your rear that will go from 5 on 4.5 to the 6 lug pattern. Also, your rear is (i think) about 58" WMS so if you got 1.5" spacers it would more closely match the front 61".

Fenderguy said:
I knew you were going to weld that diff when you got home!! :D

:D :D :D

Fenderguy said:
I'm not suprised that you're already making a new rear bumper for it either. Are you going to bob the bed at all or is it not necessary?
Good luck with the front axle when you get to it. :thumbsup:

I looked at bobbing it cause I like the look of how DB1 came out. However my bed is a little banged up already so it would have made it dificult to bob. Plus I am probably choping 4-6" off the bottom of the bed for the bumper and the new bumper will sit about 3" higher then the stock did so all that should help my break over till I flat bed it. I am also considering running 63" chevy rear springs and if I cut to much off the rear shackle would be the limiting factor on how far back i could go. We will see how it goes I can always modify the bumper later if I decide to bob the bed.

Should have some more pics up tonight, just eating lunch and heading back out to work on it.

I know whatever you do will look funky but good at the same time :p and still be very functional. Pics are always good. Hey did you ever get the Truck Haven pics off your camera?

Bobbed beds are sweet. I say go for it.

Now thats more like it :) All that in one day? hahaha

Good luck Matt, look froward to wheeling with you again and I am VERY happy to see you stuck with FORD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RockRanger said:
So to solve the problem I decided to test out the handy dandy lincoln welder again. Should take care of some of the problems with traction.

Hmm the way you did your lincoln locking you might be kicking yourself later for, did you just fill some of the teeth on the spiders cause in the pic it looks like the spider is welded to the carrier (bad) if i remember right that means the C-Clips are welded in now? other then that it looks good =)
Oh and the front D44 are the rotors 6 lug? i didnt see any spindle/rotor/hub in the pic

Back