RockRangerII the build up. | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,909

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After I got the doubler stuff done I started working on the front winch bumper. Didnt get to far today. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it. Didnt get to far on it today. Hopefully I can get more of it figured out tommorow.

Attachments

• truck 001.jpg
    truck 001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 519

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I had to stop early cause I had to go pick up something I bought yesterday :D

Attachments

• truck 003.jpg
    truck 003.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 523

Very Nice Matt :thumbsup: Flat bed makes everything easier :thumbsup:

Cool :thumbsup: I feel better now that you have a trailer to tow my rig home if something breaks :p

Actually it isnt really mine. It is Tracys anniversary present. We have been dating a bit over 4 years now.

Congrats...but I think a ring is in order mr. :D

I love women who can deal with a gift like that :D

You should put a ring in the hitch pin, and we she hooks it up :D :thumbsup:

As for the speedo cable - hit the yellowpages, look for a speedometer shop. Take the whole cable, they will re-use the ends and can make you a longer one.

DB_1 said:
Cool :thumbsup: I feel better now that you have a trailer to tow my rig home if something breaks :p
Ditto. :D

Matt, why not just get a supercab speedo cable at the junkyard?

I had one remade a long time ago at a local speedo shop and it was super cheap.

I went to Autozone and bought a speedo cable, it was about 18" longer then my factory one in stock and cheap.

Something to consider.

Any pool table in town is a great palce for a cheapo shifter knob

kidding! Nice trailer, talk about a boost to your hobby!
Now will a Jeep and a Ranger fit on that sucker? hahahaThe work yuo have done on this ranger is awesome Matt, its going to be a monster!

DB_1 said:
Ditto! :p
Why do you need a speedo cable on a trail rig?
If you cut out that sheet metal in front of the radiator above where you have the winch mocked up, you can raise the winch height up quite a bit, so it won't hang down so much.

410Fortune said:
I went to Autozone and bought a speedo cable, it was about 18" longer then my factory one in stock and cheap.

kidding! Nice trailer, talk about a boost to your hobby!
Now will a Jeep and a Ranger fit on that sucker? hahahaThe work yuo have done on this ranger is awesome Matt, its going to be a monster!

Cool I will check out autozone and see what they have.

The trailer is a 16' deck. Just big enough for 1 vechicle. I dont think my 1/2 ton chevy would like pulling a 30' trailer with two vechicles. Need to upgrade tow rigs before I get that trailer.

BKennedy said:
Ditto! :p
Why do you need a speedo cable on a trail rig?
If you cut out that sheet metal in front of the radiator above where you have the winch mocked up, you can raise the winch height up quite a bit, so it won't hang down so much.

I need the speedo mostly for the odomiter cause the gas guage doesnt work :rolleyes: As far as the winch that was as high as the jack would take it. I need to cut the area behind the grill to get the winch in higher and farther back. Still working on getting the perfect spot.

I took it for a spin yesterday and played with 4 lo lo in the street out front. Sure is nice driving over curbs with out having to give it gas.

I also ordered some new diff covers this morning to replace the leaking rear diff cover. They should be here next week and then after that I can install my rear locker at the same time :D

why not fix the gas guage?

Yes but anything is possible, making the old sender talk to the newer gage, or using and older gage behind the dash, or an aftermarket gage, or using resistors to get the right signal, etc

Gas guage doesnt work because the float is broken so it sinks to the bottom. Only reason why it doesnt work. Need to get a new float.

Back