• Register Today It's free!

Rod and Main Bearing Clearances?

mitch1204

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Can some please help me with some manual info?
I bought a 1997 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV. I installed a mystery junkyard motor and I am now 450 miles from home and now have a lower end knock.

My plans are to drop the oil pan for an emergency repair just so I can make it home. I have tools and plastigage with me. I stopped by 3 parts stores and every one was sold out of my particular Haynes manual. I searched the forum and Google with no luck. In fact on my android phone when I do a forum search here my keyboard disappears before I can type anything. No problems anywhere else.

Anyways I need the oil clearances on the rod and mains so I can do some bearing swapping. Torque would be helpful too.

I'll order a manual off the internet for when I get home. I have a good block at home I'm going to rebuild so I don't want to do more than I have to with this current mystery motor.

Maybe someone can throw me some insight there. I was pulling a 1500 lb camper to where I am now. I messed up and tried my cruise out. When I hit small rolling hills the cruise decided to drop two gears and tach 5000 briefly. That's when I noticed the knocking. I still have great oil pressure. I'm dropping the oil pan today and hopefully find the problem. I think I spun a bearing. If I'm lucky maybe a TC nut backed out because I didn't use any thread lock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clearance & torque

According to my Haynes Manual:

Connecting rod journal allowable bearing oil clearance .0005 to .0022 inch
Main bearing allowable oil clearance .0005 to .0019 inch

Main bearing cap bolts step 1: 25 Ft-lbs, step 2: 72 Ft-lbs
Connecting rod cap bolts step 1: 15 Ft-lbs, step 2: plus 90 degrees

From what I've read lugging the engine is the most common cause of main bearing failure.

According to my Haynes Manual:

Connecting rod journal allowable bearing oil clearance .0005 to .0022 inch
Main bearing allowable oil clearance .0005 to .0019 inch

Main bearing cap bolts step 1: 25 Ft-lbs, step 2: 72 Ft-lbs
Connecting rod cap bolts step 1: 15 Ft-lbs, step 2: plus 90 degrees

From what I've read lugging the engine is the most common cause of main bearing failure.

Thank you so much. Hopefully it ain't a main but I think you are correct. I'll post tonight what I find.
Is it possible to install a main from underneath? I never tried that before.

replacing main bearings

If the main bearing is badly worn you may be able to slip it out by tapping on the end without the tab.
CJrnl1.jpg

I don't know if you can install a new one without removing the crankshaft. However, you can replace the half in the cap which should help.
BCap1.jpg

I hope you have a 2wd.

I've been reading that the OHV has a rev limiter at 4900, I wonder what the SOHC has that allows a 6250 redline.

I'm in the middle of reading about how a guy in Sweden put Cosworth DOHC heads on his OHC.
I wonder what he'll do about the bottom end.

Back