• Register Today It's free!

Rod knock

Donny P

Reaction score
City, State
Caesarea Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Baseline
2016 3.5 litre engine. 170,000 km (approx 100,000 miles). Due to hot summer, I drive all day and have AC running most times. End of day I hear a whining like serpentine belt is going or slipping, vehicle shutters lightly. Immediately I cut the AC and pull over. After checking the belt, looks worn and a little hot, but intact, I continue home, no issue leaving AC off. I figured I seized the compressor. The next day I hear a light knock almost like a pulley rattle, it only rattles a few seconds, off idle. Over next two days it gets more frequent and sounds an awful lot like connecting rod knock. Going out to pull the belt now and snoop around, but any ideas people care to float by would be appreciated.
I am wondering if seizing the compressor might load the engine and cause a bearing failure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, bit of relief. Knock is coming from the AC compressor. Close to $500 for an aftermarket unit, $1000 from the dealer. Better than opening the engine though.

Ok, bit of relief. Knock is coming from the AC compressor. Close to $500 for an aftermarket unit, $1000 from the dealer. Better than opening the engine though.

Indeed it is...

Thanks for the link, but I am in Canada. That $414 would end up around $700-750 with shipping and broker fees. Reg dealer price here is $869. add 13% tax and close to a grand. I also see some low mileage wrecker units on ebay for under $150.

Back